AVIC411.com

2008 Nissan Altima VSS

Hey Guys,

Back installing D2 into new 2008 Altima. I have non-Bose without Navigation. I have read that it is no where in the wire harness, which sucks, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, depending on where else it is, what color is it, and what is the best way to get to it.

Thanks again, you guys are always amazing at helping.

I just got the new 70 Disc, and I've been reading that people are having trouble after installing them in a bypassed D2. Is this true??

If it's the same as an '07 Altima, it's the purple/white wire behind the instrument cluster.

Like behind the actual cluster, where the tach and speedometer are? Is that a hard place to get to.

Also, I get good satelitte reception, so is the VSS really that necessary, or will I still have good nav. without hooking up the VSS?

Thanks man.

I'm guessing you have to get behind the cluster to get to it, but I don't know how hard it would be.

No, you don't necessarily need the VSS wire hooked up, the D3 is pretty accurate without it, but if you're in an area with low satellite reception, like in the woods or something, it helps the GPS keep track.

I have an '07 Altima, same generation as the '08. Yea, it is kind of a pain to get behind the cluster. Here's a link for a step by step on how to get to it.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/new-2007-2008-nissan-altima-discussion/253498-gauge-cluster-removal-vss.html

I did it, but still not sure if it was worth it. It did give me something to do over the weekend.

Knight20, Thanks. I did read your post from Nissan Enth. and it does look complicated. My 2005 had the VSS right in the factory harness, which made it so easy, but I'm going to try it without it first, and see if there is a big difference. I'm hoping the satellite signal will be strong enough to work well, not needing the VSS.

What install kit did you buy? I bought one from crutchfield, good for 2007 and up models. Was it a hard install? The 2005 was fairly simple, so am hoping this will be just as easy.

Thanks again.

Nissan actually makes a faceplate for manual AC controls with a double din opening. I just went to an online OEM parts retailer and bought it and a set of the OEM brackets. Here's some pics:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12249

Install isn't too bad. Do you have instructions on how to remove the OEM HU? If you haven't opened the kit from Crutchfield yet, I would return it. Those plastic brackets just yell out "COME STEAL ME."

There's a canadian Altima owner who got their Z2 literally ripped out of the car with one of those kits. I would definately either take the brackets from your OEM HU or order a another set of them. They will fit the D3 perfectly.