AVIC411.com

Z1 Bluetooth and iPod problems

Hey all, I installed the Z1 with the bluetooth adapter in my 06 Scion tC, and so far I like almost everything about it...but there are 3 things that kinda irk me.

1. People can't hear me. I get lots of complaints that people can't hear me when I make calls thru the bluetooth adapter. What is the best microphone position? Right now I have it to the left of the driver side visor...which seemed like a standard location to me. Is there a way to turn up the sensitivity of the microphone, could that be the problem? Also...a few people have complained of echo...is that normal?

2. When you get a phone call, the system reduces the volume of your music, but not to a constant level. So if I'm blasting my music, the volume goes down a normal level, not a quiet level. This is only a problem because once a call comes in, it seems as if I can't use my volume buttons anymore. Any fix for this?

3. iPod searching really sucks. I have like 8000 songs on my iPod, split between maybe 800 artists. If I want to get to say, "Muse" in my artist list, it takes like 10 minutes. This is not cool, does anyone know if theres a way around this, or if they have plans to fix this?

Other than those 3 things, I'm very satisfied.
The echo from your callers is a very common complaint. It seems that if you have your mic to the outboard side of your sunvisor, as you do, and set the voice to come out of the right speaker ONLY, you should be in pretty good shape. I don't recall being able to do much about the mic sensitivity. and the iPod thing.....yeah- that's the way it is and it's MUCH better than the D1/D2 interface.
My mic is just to the left of the rear view mirror. I actually have the voice coming through the left speaker and I have no problems. Now, my left speaker is on the bottom of my door so it isn't right in the face of the mic. Others here say just to have the voice come out of right speaker and to the lowest volume where you can still have a conversation. I ask everyone I speak to how I sound and haven't had any complaints yet. They say it sounds like I am on a speaker phone and I am...

As for the muting. You should go into settings and set it to mute completely on phone and nav. This way you aren't constantly fighting to talk over the music. I believe that there are a few levels of mute with one being total mute.
I took a chance with placing the mic on the neck behind the steering wheel. I had to use a thin strip of double sided tape to mount the mount, but I switched positions with my brother, and it seemed to not have any problems. This position has a reduced sound field from your speakers since the neck is solid. Good luck.

PS. My brother has a tC also and is considering the AVIC-Z1. If possible, could you post your install? . . . Just to give him some encouragement. Thanks in advance.