AVIC411.com

Avic D3 Reverse wire VS 2008 Altima Sedan

Hey guys, this is the first thread ive made cause im new to the forum. I had just purchased a avic-d3x from crutchfield along with the steering wheel interface. When it comes to installations, im a very "do it yourself" kind of guy and after seeing a tutorial on how to install the avic-d3, it seems fairly easy. My question is regarding the wire that has to be plugged into the back tailight or more specifically, the reverse light. I am NOT planning to install a backup camera so can i skip this step? I dont really know why i need to plug a wire into the reverse light but i just didn't want to go through the trouble of pulling up all the pillars and directing that wire all the way into the trunk. That wire is only so the avic knows when your backing up right? Am i going to be safe if i just wind this wire up and not plug it into anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

EDIT: and if it has any relevance, i am installing this into a 2008 altima sedan with no navigation or bose system. Bone stock on the audio. (not for long :lol: )

You don't really need that for the navigation to work... it just helps keep it accurate at times, when you're moving in reverse, the speed sensor sends the speed signal to the D3, but the unit won't know if you're going 5mph forward or backward. Usually not a problem, as the GPS signal will help out. Only really necessary if you're in an area with poor satellite signal or in a wooded area or something.

You don't really need that for the navigation to work... it just helps keep it accurate at times, when you're moving in reverse, the speed sensor sends the speed signal to the D3, but the unit won't know if you're going 5mph forward or backward. Usually not a problem, as the GPS signal will help out. Only really necessary if you're in an area with poor satellite signal or in a wooded area or something.

Isn't that what the vss wire connection is for? But either way thanks for helping, i'll just skip that step then because im not planning on installing a reverse camera or anything and i dont even go into reverse unless im parking and i wont need GPS to park into a spot. :)