AVIC411.com

New member, AVIC D3x install into '05 Subaru Legacy GT

Greetings everyone! Have been lurking for a few months here gathering info for my D3x install into my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT (I'll be installing tomorrow if the rain holds off).

It's an interesting install because in the GT version of the Legacy, the radio is incorporated not only into the same physical piece as the HVAC controls, but also the same board as the HVAC controls. It's extremely difficult to separate the two for aftermarket installation.

People on a Legacy board I frequent have been dying for something like this for 3.5+ years now. Some have tackled it themselves with success, some have tried with no success.

A small company in Denver, CO wanted to try their hand at it, so gave it a shot, and the results have been nothing short of amazing. I'll post the name of this audio shop if it's allowed (please let me know if it's acceptable).

Here's a picture of the OEM head unit. As you can see, all one piece.

Picture001-2.jpg

Here's some of the work that is necessary for this install that this company did (lots of electrical and fabrication work).

2141854300053137009S425x425Q85.jpg

2102408780053137009S425x425Q85.jpg

And some photos of the finished product.

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Test fitting the D3 into the bezel opening.

Picture004-1.jpg

The quality of their work is nothing short of outstanding. It's a pricey piece, as it takes an incredible amount of man hours to complete, but I'm very happy. And I thought you guys might like to see an install that doesn't happen all that often (they did a group buy for the bezels on the Legacy forum I'm on).

As I stated, I'll be doing the install tomorrow (weather permitting), and will be taking pictures throughout the process and will post back with more info & problems if I run into any. (I may be asking some questions as well if you guys don't mind).

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks for all the great info that's already on this site. It's helped me a great deal over the past month while doing research. :)

--Marko (I hope images are allowed in posts....if not I'll edit and post links to the images).

yep, why wouldnt it be allowed, it would help people then i say go for it!!

Ok, cool. I've been on message boards where there are rules against such things, so I just wanted to make sure. The company is called Highline Car Audio, and they work out of Commerce City, CO. Just two guys (that I know of), Rich & Erik, and they do amazing work.

I started the install yesterday, but ran into a snag about midway through. The custom work comes in 3 "pieces". The faceplate, then two different sized boxes that house the electronics for the radio and HVAC. There's the "radio black box" that gets mounted under the head unit, and then a "thin black box" which needs to be mounted behind the glove box, and everything is connected with 2 IDC cables.

The problem was that the 50 pin IDC cable that connects to the HVAC controls wasn't quite long enough. Just about an inch and a half or two short of what was necessary. So mid day yesterday I had to go source a lengthier cable. The people at the computer store didn't seem too sure what an IDC cable was, but suggested a SCSI cable. So I picked that up. It did start to rain, so I had to put the install off. I checked with Rich at Highline, and he said that it was the correct cable and would work.

So I'm back to the install this afternoon after I get off work. Here's how she stands now:

Wiring harnesses are connected, and ready. HU and both 'black boxes' are mounted. There was no room for the Sirius, HD Radio, and Bluetooth boxes to be mounted in the dash anywhere, so I'm going to have to mount those under the passenger seat, which I started when it began to rain yesterday. I'll need to find a power source for those today also (Rich doesn't think the powered seat source will handle the 3 receivers).

Here's what the inside looks like now. :lol:

Picture002-3.jpg

Yeah, I decided against under the pass seat, because even space there was tight and I couldn't fit all 3 boxes. I ended up going with the passenger floorboard on the angled portion under the glove box beneath the carpet. A tiny bit noticeable, but only if you know what another Legacy looks like.

I'm not completely finished as I ran into a few snags, but it's in and working properly. Sirius is connected and functioning correctly. I haven't read up on the bluetooth enough to know if that's working right. However, I wasn't able to get the HD Radio receiver to work right. Not sure if it's a power connectivity problem, or if I didn't have it wired correctly.

By the diagram in the installation manual, it showed things running "piggy backed" onto each other. This is how I had it set up.

HU <--IPbus--Bluetooth brain <--IPbus--Sirius brain <--IPbus--HD Radio brain. I was running the antenna to the HD Radio brain, but wasn't picking up any radio signals (HD or analog), so either the unit wasn't powered up, or this HU wasn't designed to have 3 things piggy backed (although I did ask before I bought it if it was possible and they said yes). If I have to lose something, I'll drop the bluetooth adapter as I don't talk on the phone much in the car, and I have to have HD Radio for my job.

I haven't quite finished replacing the interior trim pieces yet, as I want to try and figure out the HD Radio & Bluetooth things first. So that'll probably be next weekend. The pics below are before I replaced the glovebox back into position and replaced some interior trim panels though, so it's not as messy now as it is in the pics.

All in all, it was the most difficult install I've ever done. I'm no professional though. For the most part, it went ok. A few hiccups here and there, but I'm happy with the result. :)

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture004-4.jpg

Picture006-4.jpg

Picture007-3.jpg

Update: Went to lunch with some engineers from work, and one of them checked the Bluetooth with his phone and said his phone could 'see it', and that it was active, but his phone wasn't compatible I guess. And apparently mine isn't either.

We discussed the HD Radio issue also, and I thought I had checked the EXT-1 source when I had it hooked up yesterday, but I guess I didn't. After lunch we hooked the antenna back up through the HD Radio brain, and it's working great.

So looks like I'm almost done, just want to verify the BT is working properly. Thanks for all the info on this site! Amazing!

Got the interior pieces back in tonight after work (had to stay late), but I didn't get a chance to put the tools away or wipe everything down, so forgive the mess. And yes, the color doesn't match exactly (it's actually very close in person, the lighting in the picture makes it seem worse than it is). But I'll be either A) painting the shifter surround the same color (they provided me with paint), or B) doing a clear coat on the HU bezel itself for a smoother and darker appearance. But I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Love it! :)

Pics:

Picture004-5.jpg

interior.jpg

holy moly is that a clean install and to think that it would not be possible given the combined dash. I guess money and all does make things happen.

Congrats on the work....I have to figure out a way to make the unit in my car sit a little more flush with the fascia kit, but that may not be possible....but we will see once I look inside...

Paul