AVIC411.com

couple reverse camera questions

1.) Manuel says yellow rear view input...that doesn't work for me it's the brown rear view output wire. whats the yellow one for?

2.) Is there audio for a rear view camera?

3.) If you connect the camera to the reverse wire directly is there a way to view the camera via (press the map button and select camera view)? that only seems to work when i give it a constant 12v.

1.) No idea.

2.) No. Just video.

3.) If the camera uses the reverse wire as it's power, it will only turn on when the car is in reverse. It would have to be hooked to a power supply that is always powered up if you want to turn the camera on when the car is not in reverse.

I may be able to shed a little light on your questions:

1.) By rear view input the manual is referring to rear seat video in the cab of your vehicle. Used if you had a flip-down monitor or headrest monitors. At least that's what a customer service rep from Pioneer told me when I called them.

2.) I had the same question because the camera I am using has audio as well. Pioneer rep told me no, just like HiFi said.

3.) When you make the connection with the purple wire to the reverse/on signal wire then obviously the camera comes on when you put the vehicle in reverse. The camera that I am using (Audiovox license plate frame) has a wire in the harness that hooks up to a switched 12v source as well. This allows me to go to the "Map" button and select "Rear View" while the vehicle is in forward motion. The only thing that I've found that this is good for is if you are towing something and want to periodically check what is going on behind you.

By the way, this Audiovox camera works great!

Some cameras do have audio. I had an old black and white unit on my 5th wheel RV and it has audio. I now have a new color camera that I have powered all the time for the 5th wheel so I can see whats behind me. Especially nice when passing someone. It is also great when I double tow my boat behind the 5th wheel.

If you've got a rear view camera with audio, you could just route both the video and audio from the camera to the AV2 input on the rear of the D3 and just use the camera as if it were just another AV source. Just go to the source selection screen, hit the AV2 button, and you've got full screen video from the rear camera as well as audio through your car's speakers.

But then of course you'll lose the ability to have it automatically display the rear view camera when you put it in reverse.

(could be AV1 or AV2, whichever is the one that runs off the rear RCA inputs, not the mini-jack on the front)

if you are not in a big hurry to get the Boyo VTL-400 you can get it on amazon for 70$ shipped, everyday

1, go to amazon and make an account and also sign up for a amazon card, have to enter all info, will not get response whiile on site, they will call you and make sure you are the one that signed up for card

2. after you get your card approved (2-3 days) they will put it on your account so when you buy something you just click on your amazon card to pay for it

3. you get 30$ off first purchase, will show as a 30$ credit on bill, this is what i just did