AVIC411.com

I have a 2006 Toyota Solara that had a factory JBL Nav unit.

Last November I had it replaced with the D3 as well as blutooth, XM, etc.

The installer indicated an adapter was needed since a wiring harness wasn't going to work.

I've now had 2 drained batteries since the install of the D3. I called Pioneer and they said the adapter could be the problem and they recommend using Soundgate adapters.

Can anyone help explain to me why this external adapter is needed, is there anyway around not needing one and could it be causing a drain on my battery?

Thank you

The interface is needed so that the D3 can turn on the factory JBL amplifier, without it you have to rewire the whole vehicle. The drained battery could be something like an accessory was wired to B+ (constant power) instead of a switched ingnition wire and causing a slow drain. Do you have any thing else installed other than the D3?

The interface is needed so that the D3 can turn on the factory JBL amplifier, without it you have to rewire the whole vehicle. The drained battery could be something like an accessory was wired to B+ (constant power) instead of a switched ingnition wire and causing a slow drain. Do you have any thing else installed other than the D3?

At the same time.. I had the D3, BTB200 (Bluetooth), Pioneer IPOD interface cable and GEX-P10XMT (XM Tuner) installed. Would any of these go to the switched ignition wire?

Well the bluetooth and xm tuner go on a B+ (constant power supply), to retain your phone paring and xm presets repectively, but the draw on them is so low that anytime you run you vehicle the battery drain is recharged, (its really a nominal drain on the battery). The only way I could see either of those having any effect would be if you left your car parked for a really long time without starting it.

Do you have any other accessories, like a radar detector or something that draws power when the ignition switch is off, if so that may be the problem.

Of course it always could be that the power loss is not related to the radio system at all.... you may want to swing by an auto parts house such as autozone or oreilly or a mechanic and make sure that your alternator is properly charging the battery

One other thing, how long is it taking for you batteries to be drained?

Based on the last couple of times.. it looks like it's taking about 4 days or so.

The car isn't my primary commuter car, so it goes several days without driving.

No other accessories connected and headlights turn off automatically.

I considered it being something else.. just with the car being a 2006 and didn't have an issue prior to the installation of the D3.. was going with that being the cause right now.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow to the radio installer. I'm hoping they can find the cause.

How long after installing the D3 did it start eating batteries, and how much time between the two that it drained down. If it was a while after you had the D3 installed then Id say alternator.... I know an '06 is fairly new to have stuff going wrong but it has happened before. Start with the installer, if everything checks out my next stop would be the dealer if you still have warranty, or a parts house if you dont.