AVIC411.com

installing d3 in mustang

i just bought the harness and i started to take my car apart you to see it was and i noticed that my harness has 2 inputs but i have three things connecting to my mach radio. should i just ignore this third wire or what? i have a special edition mustang i dont know if it varies or not from other mustangs. i marked the addition wire with an arrow in the pic

post-2497-12872754162349_thumb.jpg

You might have gotten lucky, it looks like the plug you are refeing to has a white/orange wire in it. If it is (as I suspect it is) then it will be your VSS wire. Tap into it there and you may not need to run a wire into the passenger kick panel.

By the way, what special edition Mustang had the tan dash? Bullitts (like mine) were all black, Mach 1's were all black with silver trim. 10th anniversery Cobras were black with carbon fiber trim and red stitching (or even red inserts). My guess is '04 40th anniversery GT? :wink:

Based on the pin possition, that should be your VSS. Everytime I have seen a wire there (usually grey/black) has been on the explorer and expidition and it is the VSS. Since the Mustang uses an white/orange for VSS and you have that plug with a wire where it's supposed to be, I say BINGO!

And yes, I forgot about the centinial edition. I think that was the one SE Mustang more rare than the '01 Bullitts.

i know its rare Ford only made 717 coupes and 1,323 convertibles. i see that you are a technician what are the other two wires on that harness for? know i just have to think where i am going to put the gps antenna and the bluetooth mic. i didnt want to put them in any place where you can notice them. the pod i am going to put in the arm rest

installermarc you were right that is the ssv wire, there is no need for me to be going with all the work to go look for it at under the drivers wheel. i activated the option on my factory radio to when i speed up it would compensate the outside noise with putting the radio louder and it worked. once more thanks installermarc

Yup, more rare than mine, only 1818 Black Bullitts (like mine) out of a total of 5583 made in '01. It's deffinately not a car you see on the road every day (unless you are behind me). As for the other two wires there, I'm not sure. To be honest, I have never seen that plug in a Mustang before, including '03 Cobras which you would think would have every possible wire in it.

As for mounting you GPS antenna in a not so seen place, try mounting it under the trunk lid. Since it is made of a composite material (not metal) it will not block the reception. I mounted my XM antenna there and have never had any problems. I mounted it on a peice backstrap that was screwed to the bottom of the lid and the magnet inside holds it in place. You may want to think of that option. As for the mic for the bluetooth, I have mine at the junction of the a pillar peice and the headliner, held in by pressure by the weatherstrip. Just kinda sits there, and have no reception problems (at least thats what the wife unit says).

one little problem about the gps receiver i have a convertible :D no trunk lid i was thinking of putting it on the edge of the dash next to the pillar and the mic below the odometer. i wanted to hide both of them but i cant figure out where to put them and than the mic i wanted to see if i could "share" it with the passenger so both of us can talk and be understood.

Do you have any pics of your Bullitt?

Plug the RCAs into the subwoofer RCAs on the D3. And connect the Blue/white wires on the metra harness to a 3k ohm resistor and then to the blue/white on the D3 harness. This will prevent the "pop" at turn on.

And yes, it should have been Dark Highland Green, but when I found it a year ago, was the only Bullitt available in my area.

can i ask what sound settings you got on yours? mine sounds cheap, i dont fell the bass on the subs anymore and have too much bass on the tweeters, they are are popping if i put the music a little bit louder. I have been told to buy a bass blocker for them but i been looking them up and don't know at what frequency cut off i should choose

Honestly I haven't noticed pop noise when turning on.

My system is not exactly stock, as I have replaced the door speakers with a set of JL Audio ZR 6.5" componants. I am using my stock rears for subs, so I didn't give up too much trunk space (Shelby will be 3 in a few days, and I still need to use it as a car). Maybe a stealthbox and cool amprack later, but not yet.

For yours, here is a good starting point. Go to the sound menu, and turn the HPF on, and switch to 125. Go to the subwoofer and change it to 125 as well (should already be on). Then go to the EQ and set it to Natural to start off. Customize as needed.

The problem with the stock Mach 460 system is not it's speaker placement, but the electrical design. Ford decided to use a 400 hz crossover between the mids and tweets. It has been the practice for many years to replace all of the speakers in the system to provide a rich, full sound.