AVIC411.com

Alternator whine + hissing\crackling?

I have an AVIC-D3, and when I accelerate I get a alternator whine and when the car is dead silent you can hear crackling sounds coming out of the speakers when the vehicle is on. I running two PDX amplifiers and a infinity kappa speakers in the dash, rear, and door. I have no clue what this good be....I used the factory ground on my FJ Cruiser, could this be it? I asked a high-class stereo shop about grounding the RCAS and they said the D3's have been known to actually blow the rca-inputs or something along those lines if you do that. What would be a better ground?

My amplifiers are grounded directly to the chasis since I drilled a hole through the vehicle and bolted it. But how would I ground the D3 to the chassis? It's a very small 18 gauge wire and I don't have any holes....? I'm almost 100% sure this is due to the headunit ground, as there is NO way it can be the amplifier ground.

One more thing, the "crackling" increases big time when you turn the gains up the amplifiers up. So right now I have to keep them down and the system can't sound nearly as good as it should :(

Thanks!

It sounds like a ground issue. I would probably splice the ground out of the factory harness and extend the wire and ground it to the frame somewhere. Behind the driver side kick panel was always a favorite of mine. Seems like the ground is loose or rusted up. Is this an older car?

I would try floating the ground....In other words; disconnect the ground wire from the head unit and the cars ground coming from the vehicle wire harness. Most head units get their ground from the antenna and when you ground it to the harness it causes the hiss/whine you hear.

I connected all my grounds to the ground wire on the head unit and non to the factory ground...No noise.

Also, the amp ground should be as short as possible and not have any paint on the body where the ground is connected...I usually scrape it off with a screwdriver under where the amp ground is connected...

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

make sure your amps are not grounded to the body (the amp body itself), I learned to bolt wood to the car, then the amps to the wood. THEN the shortest ground possible to the body from the amp ground connection.

Let us know, as even I have this in my new AVIC, but I was trying to use the factory amp in my car with the avic, NOTHING but ground noise, I went to a aftermarket amp to finally get rid of it, as well as new high quality source cables.

SD