AVIC411.com

toshiba drive swap few questions

Hi I have a Z1 and i bought a MK4032GAX Toshiba drive. I loaded the image for Z2 onto it. I intend on keeping my Z1 original drive as a backup. Do I just swap the drives? Do i need to do any of that unlocking on the new toshiba drive or just load the partitions and go. I also loaded backgrounds in the proper folder on the new drive. Again do I have to do any unlocking on the new drive. Will the drive be locked once it's put back into the Z1?

You can not reimage a locked drive without paying for a licenese, and unlocking it again. ($43 to save data, $5 to lose data on drive)

Anytime you replce the HD with a new drive, security must be turned off. If not the AVIC-Z will password protect the drive on the first bootup. Once it is password protected, your PC will not be able to access the drive.

If it's a new drive it's not locked. The AVIC will lock it unless you turn security off. In other words:

If security is turned off with a free program called MHDD (read the stickies) then the AVIC can never lock it. If security is not turned off, then the AVIC will lock the drive with a password on first boot. This does not affect the drive working in the AVIC, but you will not be able to put it back in a PC to upgrade again.

There is a difference between locked/unlocked and security on/off. Drive must be unlocked ($43 or $5) before security can be turned off (free).

If it's a new drive it's not locked. The AVIC will lock it unless you turn security off. In other words:

If security is turned off with a free program called MHDD (read the stickies) then the AVIC can never lock it. If security is not turned off, then the AVIC will lock the drive with a password on first boot. This does not affect the drive working in the AVIC, but you will not be able to put it back in a PC to upgrade again.

There is a difference between locked/unlocked and security on/off. Drive must be unlocked ($43 or $5) before security can be turned off (free).

Thank you brosef that is the best answer yet! Exactly what i have been looking for. So the conclusion of the thread is...

NEW DRIVE = NO EXTRA COST

ORIGINAL DRIVE = 5 (for data loss) 43 (keep the data)

Thank you!