AVIC411.com

Problem with GPS, location, no voice guidance, sensor stuck

Gents,

I have had my Z2 in my car for a year. I took it out b/c I was having a heated seat issue in my 07 350z, and the dealer was questioning the radio as an excuse. I took it out to avoid that issue.

Now, I put everything back together, and my GPS is way off, no directional voice guidance except (you have arrived). Any ideas? I am wondering if I damaged the sensor/wiring. Also, in the 3D calibration screen it says "sensor initializing" but stays on that setting. I am sure that it is stuck or something.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to all of the mindshare in this forum. You guys are the best!

Please help,

PGN29

• 11 months later...

Hi Garret,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for this long reply back but I just wanted to elaborate on my issues I had over the last week for more clarification. I've had the Z1 since Oct of 2006 and it had worked flawlessly up till now. I bought ducati's bypass flasher and have been using that ever since also. Here is where the issues started...last week I bought the HD Radio tuner and connected that up. At first the z1 was fine, although the only thing i tried was the HD radio part that evening and none of the navi features. The issues started the next day on the drive to work, I noticed the screen was stuck on the startup pioneer splash screen. I tried using any of the buttons on the unit and it appeared as if the AV sources were still working but the screen was just locked up. I then tried a few resets by just hitting the recessed 'reset' button but it seemed to continue to do the same thing. After getting home and taking the z1 out of the dash again and looking over all wire connections to make sure I didn’t screw anything up it appeared to boot correctly again even on the 1st try. Then, I also noticed that I no longer have the street and city information on the bottom of the screen in map mode. I continued to play around with additional features and noticed the voice guide would no longer tell me turn by turn instructions but would only say 'you have arrived at your destination' when the route had concluded. Also in the vehicle dynamics screen, both the compass and angular velocity stated it was unavailable. The speed gauge was fine so I didn’t think there was anything going on with the vss signal. I guessed maybe the vehicle dynamics wasn't working because of the reset and it would have to initialize again. When i looked at the 3d calibration status it showed sensor initializing. All these features used to work prior to my HD Radio install. So last but not least it appears that the navi is way off from where I actually am now, it is showing me driving on other streets a few blocks away from my current location but after a while it would eventually fix itself and put me in the right place.

This is where I started to read through dozens of posts about similar issues (by the way I live in Sacramento, CA and it has been quite cold over the last few weeks so I don’t think its related to heat up issues that others has, and in addition I have gone through the last 2 summers with over 100 degree heat with no z1 issues). I was thinking when I was removing the z1 from the dash could i have caused some issues with the HDD because i kind of bumped it against the gear shifter pretty hard by accident, but then again it probably gets these kind of shocks from normal everyday driving as well; anyway the HDD thing is just a theory and is still to be seen, now, back to the story.

So the first think I tried was the Z1 firmware update that everyone in the forum recommends and that completed with no issues. It then rebooted after the update and so far it hasn't locked up in the 1 day of starting it up many times. (By the way now I had to go with the 2 wire bypass because this update removed the flasher one) Once again, with the exception of the lockup, I noticed all of the same issues as before with the descriptions I gave above. I have only tried a level one reset because so many posts say they tried all 4 and no luck with fixing their issues. I'm glad you wrote me because I was looking at your thread for the drives you sell and was wondering if that would fix it. My friend bought the z2 and z3 drives to replace in his z1 and gave me his old z2 drive and I was debating on using that now that I am running out of ideas and I cant save my original drive. Do you think the resets is something I should still do? I would just hate losing all the music and phone data on there if it turned out not to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

If you have a friend, that has an unlocked Z2 drive (it will only work if it is unlocked), try installing the Z2 drive. Check if problem is solved. IF it is solved, then a new Z3 upgrade drive would also fix the problem. If not, then perfrom the level 4 reset, and see if that works. You have no personal data to lose on the Z2 drive. Your hard drive could possibly be failing. I have been seeing more and more Z1 hard drives failing, as they are getting to be several years old. You do still have the option to unlock your stock drive, make a backup of the personal data, and then try a level 4 reset. Keep us posted.

sounds like a good plan, and have a couple of questions. If I put in the new drive I think it will upgrade my firmware again to ver 2, does this mean I have to do some sort of downgrades to go back to the original drive? If so hopefully its not too risky. oh, just remember another question, I saw a post on hear that you wrote that when you upgraded to your z3 drive your guide voice was not working just like what was happening to me but when you went back to the original z1 it was fine, did you ever resolve that? All these drive swapings doesnt cause the drives to get locked do they where I would need them to get inlocked? thanks again

Yes, the Z2 drive will upgrade your firmware to Z2, but if you put the Z1 drive in, it will automatically downgrade back to Z1. The Z will always install the firmware on the Harddrive if different than currently installed.

I never did have this issue, could have been another user that I was trying to help.

If the drive has had security disabled, then the Z can not lock it. Your Z1 is locked, and will only work with your headunit. Your drive can be unlocked. Check the sticky threads in the hacks forum.

ok, today was a good day. I went to replace my z1 drive with the z2 but then I couldnt find my T8 torx anywhere, i just about tore up my garage and all the tools but never found it. So since my wife went to lowes already to pick up some sand for my sons sandbox I asked her to buy me another T8 screwdriver while she was there. I figured in the meantime I could take Garrett's advice on the next level resets while I waited. First thing I did was go into the 3d calibration status and clicked "reset all" on the learning status button. I went back to the vehicle dynamics and now noticed not only is the compass unavailable but so was the speedometer. Then I went back to the map and noticed that the city and streets were still not being displayed just like before. Next, I went with the level 2 reset which consists of going into the map settings and clicking "restore factory settings." I then went out to the map again but still nothing....I then thought to myself well maybe i need to drive around for a second to get this to initialize the street and city. I started to pull out of the garage and half way down the street and POOF! the street name and city finally came up! I also tried to do a route and the voice guidance also worked. this is very cool because it seems as if all my issues are now resolved. I will keep my eye on the lockup issue again and any of the other issues and if they come back I will repost with my next steps but as of now all is back to normal. Thanks garrett for all your help. take care....