AVIC411.com

Newb Needs Some help! 99 Ford Ranger Reg Cab VSS wire

I have searched and searched...found this post http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=ranger

However, all I have in my passengers kick panel is a small plug but nothing remotely close to white/orange....anyone have any one know where I should tap into the VSS wire for my D2?

Also, is it ok to use a wire other than the Pioneer Vss Wire?

Thanks in advance!

T :roll:

VSS Wire Gray/Black Passenger's Rear of Engine Position 58 104 Pin Connector.I have a 2004 Ranger but I don't have an Avic unit.If you have any questions let me know.

Ok, found that...I believe. It's the big honkin connector that plugs through the firewall? If so, I looked at that and the pins are not numbered..it does have a grey/black wire in there somewhere though

Remember I have a 2004 so it may be different from yours but for sure its a gray/black wire.Aimost all Fords have the same color VSS wire.You say you saw a gray/black wire on a big plug under the hood near the firewall,tap it and put a volt meter on it.If the volts or the needle increase when you press the accelerator,thats it.

• 4 weeks later...

It took quite a bit of website and manual searching for me too. I have a 2005 Ranger. Julius is right, it is on the firewall, on the passenger side, just under the hood. It is part of the mass of wires going into the Powertrain Control Module about midway under the passenger side windshield wiper (PCM is about 5 inches long with bolt through the center).

The Haynes repair manual for the 1993 thru 2005 Ranger has an engine wiring diagram in the back (for 1995 & later) that shows a Gray/Black wire coming out of one side of the VSS and going into #58 on the PCM. It shows a Pnk/Orange wire coming out of the other side of the VSS and splitting with one leg going into #33 on the PCM and the other leg going to a ground symbol. (I thought wires with the black stripe went to ground).

I haven't installed my Z3 as I'm still in the process of figuring all this out. I don't know if I'm supposed to connect the Z3's VSS wire to the above mentioned Gray/Blk or to the Pnk/Orange. Also, don't know how I'll get through the firewall or if one of those VSS wires comes through under dash and I can connect there. Help would be appreciated.

Good luck.

Connect it to the gray/black wire.There's suppose to be one in the drivers kick panel but there were no wires at all so I tapped the wire under the hood.There's a rubber boot that the steering column goes thru thats what I cut and fed my VSS wire thru.

Thanks Julius. Two more questions: Where did you find the reverse wire

for your Ranger and what kind of mounting brackets did you use. Did you buy some, take them off your old radio, or fabricate something. I don't think my riveted on old radio side brackets would work even if I could get them off.

Again, any help is appreciated.

The reverse wire is again suppose to be in the drivers kick panel but it wasn't in my truck so I tapped the reverse at the back of the truck under the truck near the lights.Look for a black/pink wire.

I used the Metra 99-5805 kit for the unit and the Metra 70-1771 for the harness.Now I need to tell you I don't have an Avic unit I installed an Eclipse so I not sure how flush an Avic will look.Here's a pic. to give you an idea of what yours might look like.

post-6671-12872754529005_thumb.jpg

post-6671-12872754530499_thumb.jpg