AVIC411.com

Any Tips? Installing Z2/Z3 in a 2007 Grand Prix GXP

Has anyone intalled a Z1/Z2/Z3 in a 2007 Grand Prix GXP with Onstar and XM?

This is what I intend on installing.

Avic Z2 or Z3

CB-IB100II

ND-BT1

GEX-P10XMT or GEX-P920XM

CD-UB100

PAC-OS2

PAC-SWI-ps

I want to use the stock Onstar GPS Antenna for the Nav HU. I also want to use the current stock XM antenna, instead of installing another antenna.

Does anyone know the location of the Onstar GPS antenna and wires? Also the location of the XM antenna and wires?

It looks as though I will be doing this myself. Just curious as to where all the XM, iPod, Bluetooth, USB and PAC modules will go(fit). Any suggestions or tips?

I plan on running the iPod cable to the glove compartment. I plan on running the USB cable into the console pocket. Any suggestions or tips?

I also want to install the backup camera and plan on getting the Boyo VTL300.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I just recently installed a Z3 on a 2008 Grand Prix.

1. You will need to use the AVIC's GPS ant. The on-star ant will need to be stay connected to the on-star for it to continue working.

2. You should be able to use the factory XM ant. You will need to shave the alignment tabs off of the Pioneer XM tuner ant connector. The factory XM tuner should be behind the glove box and will need to be removed and replaced with the pioneer.

3. There is a empty cavity to the right of the radio that the radio interfaces can fit in.

4. I was unable to find a double din kit for the newer Grand Prix. We used the factory radio face to construct our own kit and made some sheet metal mounting brackets for the radio. It turned out great, see picture below. The smooth spots on both sides of the radio are part of the factory radio face. The hole was cut slight off center to the left to cover all the factory button holes.

post-700-12872754337302_thumb.jpg

I just recently installed a Z3 on a 2008 Grand Prix.

1. You will need to use the AVIC's GPS ant. The on-star ant will need to be stay connected to the on-star for it to continue working.

I'm not really worried about keeping the Onstar functioning. I don't use it. My big concerns is the added antenna somewhere on the outside of the car. I really don't want another antenna visible. Can the antenna be mounted under the dash? I have read many post saying there is no problem doing that. Also, why cant a splitter be put on the Onstar GPS antenna so that one antenna can be used for both Onstar and Nav?

2. You should be able to use the factory XM ant. You will need to shave the alignment tabs off of the Pioneer XM tuner ant connector. The factory XM tuner should be behind the glove box and will need to be removed and replaced with the pioneer.

That sounds great.

3. There is a empty cavity to the right of the radio that the radio interfaces can fit in.

Did you take any pics during your install? First tell me how to get the stock HU out. Also, what dash panels will I need to remove and how do I do that?

4. I was unable to find a double din kit for the newer Grand Prix. We used the factory radio face to construct our own kit and made some sheet metal mounting brackets for the radio. It turned out great, see picture below. The smooth spots on both sides of the radio are part of the factory radio face. The hole was cut slight off center to the left to cover all the factory button holes.

Your install looks great, but I hope to have better luck finding the double din kit. I really don't want to do all that work also. Plus I want to keep all the stock equipment in original shape for a re-install when I sell the car.

Thanks, in advance

Forgot to ask. Does your car have the HUD. And if so, does the HUD still show the radio info or nav info?

What other options did you get with your Z3? (iPod, USB, Bluetooth, etc. ??)

Also, does it look like I have chosen the right PAC units for the steering wheel controls and the door chimes?

I put the ant under the dash and reception is perfect. There is a panel that butts up to the windshield that you can remove to install the ant. You may need to fabricate a bracket to stick the ant to.

Metra nor Best Kits makes a double din kit for that car. I would start looking for a kit first if you're not willing or able to fabricate a kit yourself.

If you split the ant going to the on-star then you're also splitting the signal strength in half. Poor reception for both units.

I didn't take any other pic, but trust me there's room. The on-star brain is also in the center front console. You can't see it from the radio opening. Look up behind the radio from the drivers floor board to see it. I stuck the sirius brain to it. You will only need to remove the bezel around the radio to remove the factory unit. It just clips in, but you may need to remove other panels to access the xm and to run other wires. The VSS is under the hood at the PCM behind drivers headlight, dk green, blue plug, pin 21. Reverse wire is at BCM, lt green, C2, pin 42. BCM is located to the lt of the steering wheel.

PAC-OC2; w/o Monsoon System

PAC-OC2BOSE; w/ Monsoon, i think all GPX have Monsoon

PAC-SWIPS is correct

Link for programming SWIPS:

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogrammin ... les&ID=224

This one didn't have HUD. If you remove the fac radio, no radio info will be displayed.

Has anyone intalled a Z1/Z2/Z3 in a 2007 Grand Prix GXP with Onstar and XM?

This is what I intend on installing.

Avic Z2 or Z3

CB-IB100II

ND-BT1

GEX-P10XMT or GEX-P920XM

CD-UB100

PAC-OS2

PAC-SWI-ps

I want to use the stock Onstar GPS Antenna for the Nav HU. I also want to use the current stock XM antenna, instead of installing another antenna.

Does anyone know the location of the Onstar GPS antenna and wires? Also the location of the XM antenna and wires?

It looks as though I will be doing this myself. Just curious as to where all the XM, iPod, Bluetooth, USB and PAC modules will go(fit). Any suggestions or tips?

I plan on running the iPod cable to the glove compartment. I plan on running the USB cable into the console pocket. Any suggestions or tips?

I also want to install the backup camera and plan on getting the Boyo VTL300.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Most of my stuff has shipped in. This is what I'm installing at this point.

Z3 (Head Unit)

CB-IB100II (iPod control)

ND-BT1 (Bluetooth control)

GEX-P10XMT (XM Radio with NavTraffic)

PAC-SWI-ps (Steering Wheel Functions)

Boyo VTL300 (Backup Camera)

Antenna Adapter (Crutchfield Item #12040GM10)

Faceplate Kit (Crutchfield Item #120953527)

GM Class II data bus interface (Crutchfield Item #120GMOS04)

CD-600DC Data Cable (Pioneer Extension)

CDE-5773 P-Bus Cable (Crutchfield Item #130CDE5773)

I looks like I will be using the factory XM antenna with the GEX-P10XMT installed in the trunk on top of the factory XM receiver. Power, mount and the antenna is already there.

Not sure about the GPS/Onstar antenna yet. I'm still researching that. But as many have done(including the factory), I may just install the Z3's GPS antenna under the dash in the same place the factory puts it. This will make things alot easier.

Now I'm looking for USB functionality. But thats another post.

I will post my progress as I go. I'm sure I will have more questions.