AVIC411.com

Does anyone

have the metal pad that comes with the Avic-z1 for the GPS antenna?

If there is anyone that's not going to be using this metal pad that's sticky on one side with metal on the other, I would like to purchase this from you.

Let me know and I can supply u with an e-mail address to arrange payment etc.
[quote name="mikecoscia"]You don't need it. Just find some scrap metal, it will work better then the thin pad.[/quote]

This is very true. You can pick up a piece at a Lowe's etc if you don't have one. Cut it to fit your spot...the larger the better. Then silicone or Velcro it in place. You will be surprised how much better your reception will be.
[quote name="03Aviator"] [quote name="mikecoscia"]You don't need it. Just find some scrap metal, it will work better then the thin pad.[/quote]

This is very true. You can pick up a piece at a Lowe's etc if you don't have one. Cut it to fit your spot...the larger the better. Then silicone or Velcro it in place. You will be surprised how much better your reception will be.[/quote]

I did that like ducatiboy suggested...cut out a 4 x 4 piece of metal 1/8 think and put that on my dash with velcro, but it looks ugly (even though it's sitting right where the window meets the dash, and you really can't see it from the outside) and it gets very very hot when sitting in the sun.

so, I was thinking of re-routing it to the drivers side beam column. And, cutting the sticky metal pad to fit the gps unit. I've seen that on here somewhere.
[quote name="jimmy303"]What kind of car is this in?[/quote]

a 2003 Ford Explorer...the installers put it on the outside drivers side roof, and I didn't like it there, ducatiboy and 03Aviator both suggested to cut a 4 x 4 piece of metal 1/8 thick and glue it to the inside of the opening where the hu goes...ducatiboy mentioned that it's glued to the metal air vent or something.

I would do that, but I'm not comfortable pulling the hu out. I mean if it's as easy as popping off the trim and like 2 screws without messing around I might be able to do that if I had a panel popper or something or know where to get one.
I have both my gps and xm antennas on my dash pushed as far front as they go up against the glass, one on the driver side, one on the passenger side, no metal underneath, just the dash material.
I always have between 6 and 8 satellites for gps and 'strong' signal for xm.

I say that as the metal looks ugly, sure you will probably get better reception but do you need it, in my case for example I am fine without it.

I'd suggest trying without first if you don't like the way it looks with the metal, if your reception is poor then put the metal underneath too.
Either way good luck with your install and enjoy the system :wink: