AVIC411.com

Alternator Whine - Open Ground Loop...

Hello All,

After 3 months, my Z2 is going in for Warranty repair :x .

Yesterday, I started experiencing a loud whine from my speakers that would rise and fall with the engine speed. It would also increase with the speed of the air conditioning fan.

I checked the grounds for the head unit and the amps; all <1 ohm back to the battery. I then started googling the problem and that suggested an open ground loop. I checked the RCA connector continuity to the head unit case......Infinite resistance!

From my searching of the forum and the web, it appears that open ground loops may be common problem in Pioneer head units. Some people have solved this by grounding the RCA cable shields to the head unit. I found a link that many of you may find helpfull in diagnosing and solving the problem. It shows the CORRECT way to perform the temporary fix of grounding the RCA cables (with a fused ground) and why it is important to do it this way. ( http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrc ... epair.html )

I will send it back to pioneer 1 time to have this fixed. If it dies again, It gets the fused grounds!

Hello All,

After 3 months, my Z2 is going in for Warranty repair :x .

Yesterday, I started experiencing a loud whine from my speakers that would rise and fall with the engine speed. It would also increase with the speed of the air conditioning fan.

I checked the grounds for the head unit and the amps; all <1 ohm back to the battery. I then started googling the problem and that suggested an open ground loop. I checked the RCA connector continuity to the head unit case......Infinite resistance!

From my searching of the forum and the web, it appears that open ground loops may be common problem in Pioneer head units. Some people have solved this by grounding the RCA cable shields to the head unit. I found a link that many of you may find helpfull in diagnosing and solving the problem. It shows the CORRECT way to perform the temporary fix of grounding the RCA cables (with a fused ground) and why it is important to do it this way. ( http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrc ... epair.html )

I will send it back to pioneer 1 time to have this fixed. If it dies again, It gets the fused grounds!

there was a whole thread dedicated to this problem...they found a solution too

I too saw this thread. Good Information up to the point where it is suggested you should just run an UNFUSED Ground to all the RCA cables. The system has to have some outlet should there be and overload in the preamp circuit.

If you use the unfused ground method you are endangering the entire preamp circuit. I would never do this WIthout adding circuit protection into the ground. Unless you want to send it back to Pioneer after you cook the main board