AVIC411.com

N3 Installation Questions

I Should be getting my unit this week, i have installed several head units but have not installed any navigation/video units.

other than the VSS aka speed sense wire is there any other wire in particular that i should be aware of?

Also i have read in a couple places that the VSS wire is a White/Orange wire in the passanger kick panel. is that correct?

The VSS wire will be different in every car. In my Subaru is was a green striped wire located on the ABS controller.

The easiest way to determine your VSS wire is to locate a manufacturer's service manual for your car and look at the wiring diagrams. If you have a common vehicle, you might be able to find this information on a car forum.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT cut your VSS wire.Use a T-tap to connect your VSS wire.

VSS Wire White/Orange Pin 68 at PCM RT. Kick Panel.Look in the Kick panel for a white wire with a orange stripe.You can put a T-tap on the wire and connect a volt meter to it.Move the car if the volts rise as you drive off and lowers when you slow to stop,thats the correct wire.

By cutting the wire completely gives you more of a chance to possibly fry you ECM and it voids your warranty.The T-tap also voids the warranty but its not as apparent as cutting the wire plus you can take the T-tap off and the wire will look almost as good as new. The cut wire with tape will not.

You'll need:

1.Reverse wire-I can't find the wire colors but you can run a wire from your backup lights.

2.Headlight-Head Lamp Yellow/Red (+) Light Switch

(you may have an illumination wire in your harness)

3.Brake Switch-Red/Green Brake Switch

(if you don't by-pass)

1.The Reverse wire also works in conjunction with the Gps so I'ld hook it up for the Gps to be more accurate when backing up.

2.Yes

3.For full functionality there are 2 dots under the unit that need to be soldered.I've never done it so maybe one of the other guys here can help you with that.If you only want the nav to work while moving then you can ground the parking brake through a switch, flip it after the unit boots and you're good to go.I would go with the solder job.