AVIC411.com

To VSS or not to VSS...that is the question

For all that have their F series installed, who has hooked into the VSS wire (vehicle speed sensor) and who hasn't?

For those who opted to NOT hook it up (if any), how is the accuracy of the navigation without it? Does it lose signal alot? If so, when?

Thanks for any help. I'm deciding if it is worth trying to locate this wire on my 2008 Impreza Outback Sport.

I bought it earlier this week and finally installed it this morning! ... without the VSS wire. (I didn't feel like taking apart the instrument panel).

Did a quick test run around the block and the nav seemed accurate to me. I'll do some more tests tomorrow on the freeway to see if it's any different.

It's an F90BT, by the way.

Its one wire,why not hook it up if its going to help you.Why spend 700-1200 hundred dollars and not get the most you can out of it,then you want to complain that your nav. isn't accurate.I want my Nav to take me to the front door of my destination and if hooking up the Vss wire will help then I'm tapping it like I've already done !

I bought it earlier this week and finally installed it this morning! ... without the VSS wire. (I didn't feel like taking apart the instrument panel).

Did a quick test run around the block and the nav seemed accurate to me. I'll do some more tests tomorrow on the freeway to see if it's any different.

Thanks Drum. I appreciate it! :D I'm the same way...not sure if I feel like digging for the wire and ripping everything apart. (but we'll see how I feel once I start installing.)

I had an N1 in my last car and I didnt hook up the wire. The only problem was with tall buildings and tunnels (NYC.) Other than that, it was fine.

Its one wire,why not hook it up if its going to help you.Why spend 700-1200 hundred dollars and not get the most you can out of it,then you want to complain that your nav. isn't accurate.I want my Nav to take me to the front door of my destination and if hooking up the Vss wire will help then I'm tapping it like I've already done !

I don't complain

I don't complain

theres topics upon topics of complaints he wasnt talkin about you personally.

I didn't hook mine up...

Seems to be off at times by as much as 100 feet, so not much at all.

100ft. is alot when you dont know where your desination is :lol:

It isn;t always off this much, besides, I have never seen a gps beep at the front door of a house. It is always a few off, but really close!

This one is more accurate than my 07 BMW 545i. And it cost a whole lot more!

By the way, this is less than two 100ths of a mile. LOL

Thanks Drum. I appreciate it! :D I'm the same way...not sure if I feel like digging for the wire and ripping everything apart. (but we'll see how I feel once I start installing.)

I had an N1 in my last car and I didnt hook up the wire. The only problem was with tall buildings and tunnels (NYC.) Other than that, it was fine.

Ok... did a test on the freeway. The gps still seems accurate for me. Route recalculations are fast, and the unit hasn't crashed yet (like how some are reporting). I have a tom tom one and this seems to return about the same results. (I live in Orange County, CA).

The only thing I don't like about this unit is that it's really hard to see the screen in daylight. That bright-green highlighted route doesn't help it either. I wish it was red instead. :( Hopefully Pioneer comes out with a patch for that since this unit is almost useless in the day time.

So anyways... I lost the red wire tap connector for tapping the VSS wire... argh.. So I guess I can't tap that wire until I find it. (I also lost the stylus for a bit... but found it behind my refrigerator. Can you believe that?!?!?)

Thanks CatchMeIfYouCan631, No I wasn't personally addressing blindmind3. I was speaking in general. While you have hooking up the harness go ahead and tap the VSS wire while its available.Don't wait until you put the dash back together then realize the Nav is off because you didn't tap 1 wire.