AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Transfer your Phonebook to D3

Basically, ive been struggling with this for weeks, reading guides, it just hasn't been working. I've been making the common assumption that many do that clicking "Transfer Phonebook" should actually transfer the phone book. Lo and behold, it doesnt. So Below ill instruct you how to transfer your ENTIRE phonebook, And if i can do it with Verizon, which usually locks out ALL features of a phone, you should easily be able to adapt the instructions to your phone.

Equipment: Verizon V9M Razr2 and Avic D3

Step 1. Make sure your car is on, the phone is connected to the unit, and fully registered, you must be at this point before you can go any further. Ensure that your bluetooth settings are to "ask" (not automatically connect, deny, or anything else) for the Pioneer unit, this is VERY important and will come in handy later.

Step 2, from the function menu, press "Phonebook Transfer"

Note: This blank screen will come up saying "Transferring phone book" and the bluetooth will disconnect, causing you (and me) to go WTF?? IT DIDNT WORK..... Do not despair, it IS working and just read the below steps

3. What has happened now is the bluetooth has disconnected, and the D3 has switched modes, it is now in the obex transfer mode, where it can accept files (in this case namecards/vcards/contact lists) via bluetooth. Remember when i told you to set the Bluetooth settings to "ask" before connecting? This is important now because we dont WANT your phone to re connect just yet, it will ruin everything. Ensure your phone is STILL disconnected, and scroll on.

Note: The following steps should work on ANY VZW phone, due to thier UI being similar, ensure you have the LATEST FIRMWARE UPGRADE (Search the net, the verizon stores NEVER have the latest ones on file) and upgrade as necessary, verizon started releasing firmwares supporting obex Bluetooth transfer and name/v card transfer via Bluetooth in 2007, so ensure you support this feature, or upgrade as necessary.

4. Now, open your contact list,and click on ANY contact, i chose the first one in my list, an entry named "1Holly", because i wanted her at the top where i can call her all the time easily. But enough with me, hilight (dont open) this contact, and while still in the contact list, click the options button (usually right softmenu button) Scroll down to where it says "Send name card" or Send V Card or similar, and click it

5. Now a menu will come up with various options of sending the contact card, you can text message, video message, ect. We are interested in the "Bluetooth" option. If you dont have this option, you need a later firmware (if available) which enables this. So click the Bluetooth Option

6. Now you are presented with your single namecard, but wait, we want to send ALL of them, right? see at the bottom, there is an "add" button? Lets see what THAT does? Click on the "add" buttom

7. My phone (and yours i hope) gives you an "add multiple" and "add all" I just clicked the "add all" buttom which immediately added all 169 contacts i have to the list, if you dont have this option, or want to specify, use the add multiple until your list is complete. Now you should be at the Transfer menu with a long list of contacts you wish to transfer.

Ensure the following list is complete

- The phone shows a list of all contacts you wish to transfer

- The phone is not connected to any bluetooth device, but bluetooth is STILL enabled

-The Avic D3 is still sitting at that cryptic almost blank "Transferring phonebook" Screen

Now the final step:

8. Press Send, your bluetooth menu will come up, naturally your gonna wanna select the entry for "Pioneer Avic D3 BT Unit" or whatever you call it. It will sync, and transfer!! Voila.

Note: It will take several minutes to transfer large amounts of contacts, for me it took 2-3 minutes to transfer 169 of them..... When it is done, press "back" on the D3 unit, and your done...

Last side note: This same method can be used to transfer contacts from your old phone to new phone or to friends phones (transferring several contacs this way is easier than sending a bunch of texts embedded with a namecard, for example, when you start a new job, have a boss or coworker bluetooth you all the work contacts he has that you might need to save time......

Hope this works, and nobody has posted it before, i HAVE searched, but nothing came up but people asking HOW to do it.....

~Jason

• 1 year later...

Good write up.. I was able to do most of these steps

on my WM 6.1 Samsung Saga, I was able to connect using JetWare, but then i had to go into a contact, and just choose to SEND.. the recipient was the bluetooth Pioneer module. I did a select all, and did NOT send as vCard.. just SEND CONTACT..

only thing i cant get working is using the ringtones of the phone to come thru on the AVIC.

also one call into the AVIC answered on the phone, not the avic.