AVIC411.com

USB Music Control

Can someone help me understand how the 900BT & the 90BT handle the navigation of a music library off of a USB drive? I plan on using a WD Passport to hold all of my music (about 60GB).

Will I be able to navigate via "Artist", "Album", and "Genre" like the iPod control? Or will I have to navigate through the actual file structure? How does it handle playlists? Can you build them and save them on the fly?

Also, the voice control doesn't work for USB does it?

I know thats a lot of questions...I'm sorry. But I figured someone on here would be able to help out.

Thanks

Will I be able to navigate via "Artist", "Album", and "Genre" like the iPod control? Or will I have to navigate through the actual file structure? How does it handle playlists? Can you build them and save them on the fly?

Also, the voice control doesn't work for USB does it?

Thanks

I have a gti and installed a 700bt this weekend..

Not like Ipod control, the nav unit recognizes folders so i would put songs from the same artists in their own folder.. make sure the file name is the song title so its easier to pick your song.

I have a playlist on my SD card.. its just a bunch of songs in one folder.

no, you cannot build and save on the fly, from what i understand.

no voice control.

to unlock the full potential of this unit you really need to use an ipod.

I've tried listening to radio shows that I download in one large MP3 file. EVERY time you stop the car you have to start at the beginning again.

There is NO WAY to scroll through the individual MP3 file. Your only choice is to get to the NEXT file or restart.

This is absurd!

VERY poor MP3 file management. Isn't any better in the SD card mode either.

Any suggestions from those that are far wiser than I?

Philip

• 3 months later...

Yes, it reads and displays them. But it will only play them in the order they are on the card/stick, according to the file system. Also shuffle. But you can't select an artist to play or anything like that, like you can with an ipod. Unless you make a folder for each artist that is, then you can just select that folder and play it.