AVIC411.com

Ok I am a little confused about NavTraffic.

I live in Richmond, VA and when I go to XM coverage page they say that my area has coverage.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc

But the traffic icon in the AV menu is grayed out as is the “traffic on route†button in the info/route options.

I have the traffic icon on the map screen and I receive text information about traffic conditions like lane closes, etc.

I do see text that traffic is moving fine but it is in DC; when I look at it on the map I see green lines on the map.

I found this info in another thread

“You need to set your local XM Traffic station on the D3 before this button becomes active. Simply find the XM traffic station for your area. While listening to it, hold the "TRFC" button for 2 seconds so that the system can memorize it. After you have done this, the Traffic button in the Info/Traffic menu of the nav function will work.â€

Well there is no traffic channel for Richmond so what gives, is this giving me information or not?

Am I not going to get up to date traffic congestion but only construction notifications?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any info.

Richmond only gives you Incident information...NOT traffic flow data. Two huge differences. XM can only rely on the data that is provided by municipalities and unfortunately it seems that Richmond does not provide XM with traffic flow... Here is the map for your area that shows you can only receive Incident data:

Richmond_XM.jpg

I am not sure if I understand your problem completly, but I am going to base it off of what I remember with my N3. I never had a need for my unit bypassed. I did not want to watch movies while driving, or enter a address. I then got the Navtraffic and noticed that all the icons were grayed out. I found that you had to be stopped with the parking brake on. I thought that was crazy. I wanted to see the traffic problems in my area without having to plot a route. So I bypassed my unit for that reason. Is your D3 unit bypassed?

Just move up to NYC or Northern NJ and you can have traffic flow and incident data :) Its weird sometimes when i am travelling, the AVIC will say real early "In FIFTY miles there is slow traffic ahead. Would you like to reroute?" I mean come on, in fifty miles in NY traffic, that could be an hours away and all cleared up LOL