AVIC411.com

Glare on F series LCDs - Install problem or nature of beast?

Had my avic-d2 stolen a few months ago, decided to wait for new F series to be released before replacing. Installed an AVIC-F900BT, and aside from the standard litany of bugs/junk that I am going to give pioneer a few months to fix, the glare from the coating on the touchscreen is horrible.

I haven't seen any posts about it being very hard to read the screen in even indirect sunlite, much less full on sun. Of course at night or in the shade the screen looks nice, but 80% of the time you're on the road it's incredibly difficult to read. I have the brightness cranked up to 10, and still hard to read.

I did not have this problem in my old D2. My installer said this is due to the new style of coatings they (manufacturers..not just pioneer) are using to improve touchscreen sensitivity...at the cost of high glare.

So I'm wondering a few things:

1. Is this correct, that this is not an install problem with respect to positioning the unit in the dash or angling the install, and that many other units these days have this same problem

2. I've seen antiglare films for pda's and phones, if I can find one big enough do you think this would help in readability? (I don't care if it knocks down the clarity/brightness of color somewhat)

thanks in advance

I haven't seen any posts about it being very hard to read the screen in even indirect sunlite, much less full on sun.

I guess you didn't look very hard... there are at lest a few topics about how the F's screen is really dim and hard to see in daylight. It's not really a matter of glare, it's more of a matter of the LCD's backlight not being nearly bright enough as well as a GUI that doesn't have much contrast.