AVIC411.com

Firmware update released in Canada

In a way it's disappointing because you have to give the unit up for a while. However, maybe it means they're making a significant upgrade to the unit (faster cpu, more ram, etc...). Who knows what they have to do to fix the performance issues. The rest of the issues should absolutely be fixable via a SD card firmware update.

I wonder if the US will be the same way? I can't imagine it would be any different for us...

Dave

So let me get this straight. You have to pull out your $1200 unit, send it off, be without it for who knows how long all because Pioneer wont send out an update the user can apply themselves?

There's no way theyre upgrading the hardware... too costly and would be way too time consuming once the updating gets rolled out.

Is this whats going to have to happen every time there is an update?

Im really glad I returned mine.

I work for a controls manufacturer and we use two programs to get our hardware working. On program needs to have multi point connection to the motherboard the other is loaded through software. If done with having future upgrades in mind the firmware can be upgraded through software as well but only after the initial program has been coded.

They might be using this technique.

if pioneer didnt plan ahead for an easy firmware update they are one dumb BIG business...for their size i think they would know better that the cost to do it the right way first is lower than having units returned to have them updated (1. u upset customers and lose business, 2. u have to pay staff).

Also, i doubt that you HAVE to send it back since another member posted he got an early release of the firmware VIA SD card.