AVIC411.com

Iphone & D-3 what exactly will I not get?

I'm considering an Iphone and wondering exactly what I will be missing vs. any other phone and the BT-200?

Phonebook- not gonna happen- I usually dial from phone anyway. (I can still do that, right?)

Voice dial through BT?

Incoming caller IDs? (numbers only, I'm sure?)

Any other issues?

I did search and found mostly old threads from '07

Thanks! Patrick

The only thing that it won't do as far as I know:

Is you can not transfer the phonebook to the D3. It could if the D3 got a firmware update that grabbed the phone book from the iphone.

And I have not tried voice yet!

It auto connects no problem, takes over a call if I am on phone and get in and turn car on. etc

I'm considering an Iphone and wondering exactly what I will be missing vs. any other phone and the BT-200?

Phonebook- not gonna happen- I usually dial from phone anyway. (I can still do that, right?)

Voice dial through BT?

Incoming caller IDs? (numbers only, I'm sure?)

Any other issues?

I did search and found mostly old threads from '07

Thanks! Patrick

No phonebook, but you can add numbers to the preset buttons (no way to change the names, but you can see the numbers at all times.

Voice dial through BT, not that I'm aware of.

CallerID numbers should show up (often come up as Unknown)

Call quality is quite good though. Good luck and have fun

Just a side note. . . I had to delete my previous phone (Moto Q) and re-pair / re-register the iPhone in order to get the autoconnect to work.

• 1 month later...

Would this happen?: Voice dialing through the iphone while it is auto-connected to the D3. The call automatically is picked up by the D3. The only interface with the iphone is initiating the voice dialing? I do not have an Iphone yet, but I'm doing as much research as possible before making this purchase. Better to measure twice and cut once type of thinking I guess...

• 4 weeks later...
Would this happen?: Voice dialing through the iphone while it is auto-connected to the D3. The call automatically is picked up by the D3. The only interface with the iphone is initiating the voice dialing? I do not have an Iphone yet, but I'm doing as much research as possible before making this purchase. Better to measure twice and cut once type of thinking I guess...

I know its been a while but the iphone does not support voice dialing as of yet

Actually, you are able to use voice dialing if your on the AT&T network and the iPhone. AT&T has a voice dial add on for $5.00 extra a month. I think its *86 once its activated. You can then program one of your presets on the D3 to dial this code and then you can either manually key in the name and contact info on the iPhone address book or key this info in on your AT&T account page on-line to set up your address book, either way!

The add on is worth the extra $5.00 bucks and its pretty accurate! When I completed setting up the voice dial feature addon all I do now is press the *86 preset button on the D3 and then voice dial asks me (over the blue tooth audio connection) who I would like to call then I tell it an name entry and it connects me with that person. The voice dial has superb speech recoginiton. Actually, much better than the voice dialing feature that I had with my LG Dare on Verizon. Hope this help you! :lol:

I have my iPhone3g installed in my truck with the Avic D3, iPod adapter, and the BT adapter. I just installe the BT tonight with the mic, so I'll let you know how it works. Also, I got some plug adapter thing from Ridax that makes my iPhone3G charge with the iPod adapter. 3g phones do not charge without it. I wanted to buy a mount for my truck, but the company did not accept pay pal, so I did not buy it. I made my own holder that seems to be working now, but I want a pass through holder so I don't have to plug anything in.

Pics to come after I get it all setup.

Actually, you are able to use voice dialing if your on the AT&T network and the iPhone. AT&T has a voice dial add on for $5.00 extra a month. I think its *86 once its activated. You can then program one of your presets on the D3 to dial this code and then you can either manually key in the name and contact info on the iPhone address book or key this info in on your AT&T account page on-line to set up your address book, either way!

The add on is worth the extra $5.00 bucks and its pretty accurate! When I completed setting up the voice dial feature addon all I do now is press the *86 preset button on the D3 and then voice dial asks me (over the blue tooth audio connection) who I would like to call then I tell it an name entry and it connects me with that person. The voice dial has superb speech recoginiton. Actually, much better than the voice dialing feature that I had with my LG Dare on Verizon. Hope this help you! :lol:

Why would you not download the free to $10 Voice dialer at the app store instead of paying each month for voice dialing. The iPhone as I said does not come standard with voice recognition like many phones now a day do

Simple, I tried the apps from the app store and they don't cut it! Albeit nice attempt! The AT&T voice dial option add on is much better and is the most accurate at true voice regognition I have tried! Seems too cheap at only $5.00 added to my bill. Plus, I have one preset button set up on my D3 head unit that dials in the *86 code and then AT&T takes it from there.

Also, I got some plug adapter thing from Ridax that makes my iPhone3G charge with the iPod adapter. 3g phones do not charge without it.

Just wondering how the Ridax adapter is working out for you. I am quite interested, but wanted to see if it caused any problems prior to purchase. Any heat issues or electrical noise issues?

• 3 weeks later...
Also, I got some plug adapter thing from Ridax that makes my iPhone3G charge with the iPod adapter. 3g phones do not charge without it.

Just wondering how the Ridax adapter is working out for you. I am quite interested, but wanted to see if it caused any problems prior to purchase. Any heat issues or electrical noise issues?

It works good. It charges the phone when the ignition is on now that I have that Ridax adapter on the phone. I did not notice any noise, but I don't have an amp or aftermarket speakers yet. I like the setup. A few things that I don't like are 1: The head unit pauses the ipod when a call is made or recieved. It does not always un-pause after the call is ended. I can't figure out why it does it sometimes and not other times. It is frustrating. 2: If you answer a call too quick, the BT does not broadcast through the speakers. If you let it ring a few times, it seems to work better. 3: VM on the iphone is digital and does not broadcast through the speakers. You need to call into the VM system to get your messages when on BT.

All in all...it works okay.