AVIC411.com

Will an F-Series hook up to a 2004 ML350 (Fiber Optic)?

Is this possible? I know with older models they had the copper wire to run your BOSE amp, etc through it using a harness. But my model ML has a fiber optic system that runs through the amp. How do I get this to work with the F-Series? Can I still use my OEM Mercedes NAV Antenna? Also if the cable is fiber optic for my amp and my disc changer, are those out of the picture? Thanks.

Hey there,

i work for bmw and we also have the fiberoptics cables (aka most system) running to our amps. So far i have not yet seen an aftermarket system in the new models. Mind you all of our new cars since 03 i think have had an actual screen in them with optional navigation. The 3, X3 and X5 have been optional for screens though. The newest 07 x5 and newer has had a standard screen in it with optional nav aswell. There is no actual most connector going in to the unit itself but the most does do alot of updating, takes care of the audio and chimes. I am assuming that if you tried running the audio out rom the pioneer deck to the amp in from the deck you may be able to instal it. I am not 100% sure on this but that may work. As for your 6disc changer that will not function at all because the f series does not accept multi disc changers. Also for your stock nav antenna you will not be able to use that either because the connectors will be different and i strongly advise you not to cut the wiring and try to fix it your self to make it work it will lead to a catastrophy and you may short out several things. If you do change out the deck and your car needs updated programming you may need to put in your stock deck back in because there will be a good chance that programming will not be able to be done.

This is just of my knowledge i know that BMW and Mercedes are 2 different worlds but its an attempt at helping you out

Is this possible? I know with older models they had the copper wire to run your BOSE amp, etc through it using a harness. But my model ML has a fiber optic system that runs through the amp. How do I get this to work with the F-Series? Can I still use my OEM Mercedes NAV Antenna? Also if the cable is fiber optic for my amp and my disc changer, are those out of the picture? Thanks.

Nope - you have to bypass the bose amp and the fiber - all speakers will be controled by the f900bt or whatever f series you go with.

I went with the f900BT in my C240 - my bose amp was bypassed - my rear subs drive off the f900 along with all the other speakers. The cd changer is gone as well - no use for it any longer /w the iPod. Also for steering wheel controls I went with Pac Audio - swi-can and swi-pi. The system is so much better than my factory bose system - ipod integration is excellent especially with the steering wheel controls. The sound is amazing. PM me if you need an installer AND you are in bay area (CA) - my installer is in Santa Clara - does excellent work and does lots of mercedes (ex custom face plates etc.)

Good luck.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Actually I dont think you have to bypass the amp. If memory serves me correct, the M.O.S.T system (fiber optics) on the stock radio is ONLY for the CD changer in the rear. Your SUV takes a standard VW harness and the Bose system takes standard high level inputs.

Mercedes sedans audio systems are a lot different than your SUV. Older C classes dont need a bypass either. The newer cars are the ones getting trickier.

I'm a fan of integrating whenever possible. Better source input on a premium sound amp usually sounds better than a bypassed system.