AVIC411.com

newb question about VSS wire

Hey guys, I've had a z-1 hooked up for a couple years, but often times it takes a while (up to 5 full minutes of driving around) until my z-1 really figures out where I am. Usually it takes a few seconds, but sometimes it takes considerably longer. I know the VSS wire is not connected, because the speed pulse always reads 0. Would this problem be fixed if the VSS wire were connected? Thanks in advance for your help!

yea my speedometer is accurate, but the VSS is not hooked up...but i heard (i dont remember where) that connecting the vss wire can improve accuracy and the initial location time. My gps antenna meter is always full, but still can take several minutes to locate my real position. so i was hoping that connecting my vss wire would help this...but im not going to waste time installing it if it wont help. any ideas? thanks everyone!

The VSS wire will make your speedometer more accurate, it'll take the reading from your cars speedometer instead of calculating it from the GPS, but it won't make it lock any faster. Mine is hooked up and sometimes it takes a few seconds and sometimes it takes a few minutes, but unless you want your speedometer to be 100% accurate I wouldn't waste my time...cuz its a pain finding it.

i got it! so yea it turns out the real problem was because the VSS wire is not connected, the first few minutes i drive my gps has no idea what my actual speed is...it starts off saying like 40 mph even if im going 20, and then it goes to like 5 mph, and then after a few minutes it figures it out correctly. But because the gps thinks im going 40 when really im at 10, i "run off the road" on the map and it gets lost, until it finally detects my real speed and fixes my location...dunno if that made any sense to you guys, but thanks so much kdoll! so im still guessing that if my VSS wire is connected, meaning it would immediately know my speed, i would no longer have this issue, so i think im gonna try having it connected. again, thanks for your help kdoll. cheers!

-Dylan