AVIC411.com

Garret Toomey HDD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Garrett and I tried an experiment for a week or two - installing a Transcend 60GB Solid State Disk instead of conventional (rotating) 60GB drive. Through no fault of his, that didn't work. Transcend doesn't (yet) correctly emulate the "security" features of the rotating drive in the firmware for their IDE/ATA SSD product. He went back and forth with Transcend's tech support for several days, but no luck. I funded this experiment (paid for the SSD) - he did all the work. :D

After the Transcend SSD was returned to the distributor and the purchase cost (less the expected 15% for "restocking") refunded, Garrett shipped me a normal Toshiba 60GB drive, and refunded the $44 differential that I had paid for the SSD.

The new Toshiba drive works Just Fine. Using an SSD instead would have been such a SWEET thing if it had worked. SSD drives have much lower seek times, zero rotational latency, etc., etc. However, this was an EXPERIMENT and it was MY idea. It cost me very little to avoid the SSD vs. Toshiba compatibility (aggravation) issues. Garrett did an excellent job. In fact, I might wait six months and, after Transcend has improved their firmware, TRY IT AGAIN! I'd still like to minimize the appearance of those little spinning CD ("please wait") icons in the AVIC.