AVIC411.com

Daytime/Nighttime view

According to the instructions, the daytime/nighttime selection mode works based on the switch of the headlights.

I drive a Saab and the Saab uses DRL's and the light switch does squat. So, I believe the unit is permanently stuck in Daylight mode as it is likely not connected to anything.

Any workarounds on the use of the daytime/nighttime mode when you actually use DRL's?

Paul

I have a 9-3ss and I just figured that I could use the existing auxiliary switch that sits in the dash to switch the display from daytime to nighttime. Since I already done the bypass, it shouldn't be that bad to get this to go either.

Thanks for the suggestion on using a toggle switch. I hadn't thought of that. Also, now it is a matter of finding the illumination wire.

Paul

aside from the toggle swith, you can tap into any power source that turns on when you turn your headlights on. interior lights, headlight bulb, etc., and it will automatically dim when you hit that headight switch

That is the problem, the light switch has no affect as I have Daytime Running Lights and I don't think the installer hooked up the illumination wire...

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I'm having the same problem. All Canadian cars has DRL and I tap the illumination wire to the dimmer wire but nothing happens.

When I checked for the illumination status under hardware info, it has "OFF" as status. Not really sure what that means.

I really hope the unit isn't defective or anything.

Interesting, I'm having the same problem. All Canadian cars has DRL and I tap the illumination wire to the dimmer wire but nothing happens.

When I checked for the illumination status under hardware info, it has "OFF" as status. Not really sure what that means.

I really hope the unit isn't defective or anything.

when I have time, I am going to connect it to the wire that leads to the cigarette lighter. I noticed that when I turn off my lights (which don't affect DRL's one single bit), the cigarette lighter "light" turns off. Opposite happens when I turn the lights on. The unit is looking for voltage (or current) and if it finds it, it will switch to night-mode.

I haven't had the time to fiddle with this yet, but hopefully, this will be the final road-block to having a completely functional Pioneer Head Unit.

Paul

Ok, after more reading, there are 2 different wire in my car. Dimmer and Illumination.

The illumination wire has like an on and off signal while the dimmer has a variable voltage depending on your dimmer setting. So it is not the same.

I will try to re-wire it tonight and see if it works or not.