AVIC411.com

No sound from Sirius or iPod

I recently got my AVIC-Z1 hooked up. Everything works fine, except my Sirius Radio has NO sound. It aquires the signal and all the channels, but still no sound. The AM, FM and NAV sound all works fine.

In addition, the sound is very faint on my iPod.... I can barely hear it, even when its turned up to 40. However, if I leave it plugged in, turn off the car, and then turn the car back on, the sound works perfectly. It seems it only creates a problem when I plug it in while the system is on.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated from a newbie !

Thanks
The ip bus wire (big with a blue end and a black end) is backwards.

This wire goes from the Z1 to one accessory and then another cable goes from that accessory to the next. Double check the orientation and the "in and out" of the accessories. These wires can be reversed and when you do that everything looks ok, but you get no sound.

Look in the instruction manual, it gives you colors as to which end connects to which (and I think the receptical on the z1 is color coded). The right end has to be in the Z1. Then that has to be in the correct receptical in the first accessory (ipod or sat, I don't know what you have first).

Check that cable, my guess is that you have the cable in backwards.
I saw your prior posts where you said the cables must be backwards. My installer just left a few minutes ago "completely" puzzled. I showed him the previous posts. He quardruple checked and he said everything was hooked up correctly. He even tried swapping the cables around to make sure. I had my Sirius radio first, and then the iPod. He took the Sirius out, and just hooked up the iPod.... and the iPod worked fine. I didn't have the same problem about having to turn on/off the engine to get the iPod to have sound. Then he put the Sirus on the end after the iPod....... still a signal, but still no sound. He says he thinks its a bad sirius tuner. Although I told him thats odd because he got sound out of it when it was first hooked up..... he said "Thats Electronics"..... so I guess my next move is to replace the Sirius receiver ???
Ok, if he kept the Z1's ip bus cable where it was and just put the ipod unit to the wire coming out of the Z1 then yes, the cable is connected the right way.

If the sat radio was in between the ipod and the sat radio unit, then either the in and out recepticals on the sat radio unit were reversed or the sat radio unit was defective.

Sorry about being so sure of myself. Generally reversing the cable is the problem most people have with "no sound" like that. I know that was a mistake I did when I installed my Z1. So I know first hand. :)

Hope you get a new sat radio unit.
If I had to place a bet, I'd bet that its something other than the radio being bad...... only because it "was" actaully putting out sound near the end of the install. Therefore, my "gut" tells me its something else..... like maybe the cables being backwards...... I won't find out until early next week because I'm going out of town. I'll post the results on the board for everyone's future benefit !
I tried all the different settings on the Z1 itself. I tried setting the Auto Antenna to "power" and "radio". Neither one produces any sound from the Sirius radio. The sound works fine on FM, AM and iPod..... no sound at all from the Sirius. My installer is coming back tomorrow. I still have a gut feeling that there's nothing wrong with the Sirius radio >> guess I'll find out after hooking up radio #2..... I can hear him know....... "now why isn't this radio working" ?? :roll:

If anybody else has any ideas that may help, please let me know. I have a feeling we'll be looking for other ideas after Radio #2 is hooked up, with the same result
I had an odd problem with my XM unit and no sound as well. The cables were hooked up right however even though the little yellow addendum in the manual states to NOT hook up the power to the navtraffic unit if using IPBUS it wouldn't work without it.

Basically, I had to hook up power to the navtraffic bus for it to work properly.
[quote name="jtuner77"]Ok I am having the same problem......I have the Ipod adapter, bluetooth adapter..........My bluetooth works fine but I connect my Ipod and it gets the signal and shows the track going forward but NO sound out of the speakers.......is there a setting that is wrong?[/quote]

I take it you've swapped the ipbus cables?