AVIC411.com

Rear Camera while driving

Hello -

I have recently purchased a F90BT (abt.com - $800) and have it installed in a 2006 Toyota Tundra. I actually love this thing, and outside of a couple of quirks I highly recommend it (the boot time doesn't bother me).

My issue:

I have a rear view camera installed, and it works just fine when I am in reverse. However, when I am driving and I select my source, there is an option at the top for rear-view-camera. I presumed this would allow me to view the camera while driving (which I need, since I do some towing), but I simply get a black screen. The black screen DOES have the notification at the top, I just don't see the picture.

I have hard wired the moved mute button/parking brake to ground to remove all the restrictions while driving....is this related perhaps? I did that during the initial install, so I never confirmed if the problem existed before the mod.

Can anyone else please confirm for me if they have the same problem? Or is there something I need to modify about my install/config to make this work ?

Thanks!

Yep, that's the problem. I did have it installed (I just didn't have the time), but I am familiar enough with this stuff to be dangerous. I did the mod for mute/parking brake myself after the fact, and I've now done the bluebox mod and used the sql tool to edit my contacts.

The camera I am using only has one line for power (don't some have 2 just for this reason?), and they ran power directly from the back of the headunit from the rear view turnon. If I swap the power to a switched source, I now see the display anytime EXCEPT in reverse - now the problem is backwards.

Can I connect BOTH a switched power source, AND the violet/white to the camera? Or do I need to put a diode in there somewhere so the switched power isn't going directly back down the wire into the headunit?

Here is the camera I ended up using, it was the only one I could find that would fit over the hitch on my truck - the pioneer/kenwood ones were just too big. I can't find an owners manual online, and the installer tossed it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8561918843

Thanks for the quick reply!

The red wire from the camera goes to your red ignition wire, the purple wire from the unit goes to your reverse wire on the car, and of course the black wire is the ground. This will allow you to do both reverse turn on and rear view while driving. It needs to be rewired properly.