AVIC411.com

Ipod vs Iphone w/D3

Debating on which one to get. I want to get the facts straight. I have been reading through topics on what can do what with the D3. I want the device to be able to play Videos and Music through my D3.

Iphone - Plays music and video through D3. But only plays video with a $50 aftermarket cable. Is this correct? I've heard both ways yes and no.

Ipod- New Generation Ipods newer than the 5G cannot play video on the screen. Only the 5G can play videos. Is this correct?

The drawback for me getting an Iphone is no service in my area.

The drawback of getting an Ipod is that its not a phone and new versions cannot play video.

So I'm going to have to get an 5G ipod it looks like, but I need confirmation that it does indeed play video and music through the D3. I want to be dvd/cd free. And also confirm that the iphone wont play video unless there is a special cable.

Iphone - Plays music and video through D3. But only plays video with a $50 aftermarket cable. Is this correct? I've heard both ways yes and no.

Correct, you will need to get the cable and plug it into an AUX input to play video. You will also loose HU controls and must select videos from the iPhone. 3G iPhones will not charge with out a special adapter

Ipod- New Generation Ipods newer than the 5G cannot play video on the screen. Only the 5G can play videos. Is this correct?

iPods up to Gen 5.5 will play videos on the screen with out loosing funtionality. You will be able to play video through the iPod cable on Gen 5.5 and older iPods. Gen 6+ will need the same cable as the iPhone.

The drawback for me getting an Iphone is no service in my area.

The drawback of getting an Ipod is that its not a phone and new versions cannot play video.

So I'm going to have to get an 5G ipod it looks like, but I need confirmation that it does indeed play video and music through the D3. I want to be dvd/cd free. And also confirm that the iphone wont play video unless there is a special cable.

If you are looking for a CD/DVD replacement I would recommend getting a iPod. 16 gigs fills up fast[/b]

hmm well i dont really want to buy cables and definitly dont want to have to tear apart the dash to get to the back of the D3..

One more question...i found a 5.5 G on ebay for $150...does the 5.5 play videos just like the 5G? Here is the description...it says its an enhanced version...

Learn More: Our Guide to iPods explains all the ins and outs about every model of iPod.

Product: iPod Video Enhanced 5th Generation 30GB Media Player - White

Part Number: MA444LL/A

Color: White

Enhanced: This model is an update to the original video iPod. It features a longer battery life and a brighter LCD screen.

Manufacturer: Apple

Total Included Memory: 30 GB

Estimated Number of Songs: 7,500

Storage Media Supported: Internal Hard Drive

Audio Codecs Supported: AAC, AIFF, MP3, WAV

MP3 Bit Rate: 16 kbps - 320 kbps

Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz

Video Format: MPEG-4, H.264

Video Bit Rate: 160 kbps

Max Video Resolution: 640 x 480

LCD Size: 2.5"

Display Type: Color LCD

General Features: Alarm, CD Ripping/Encoding, Internet Support, Sleep Timer, Upgradable Firmware

Additional Features: Address Book, Calendar, Equalizer, Photo Viewer

Video Playback: Yes

Playback Features: Repeat Mode, Resume Play, Shuffle Play Mode

System Connectivity: USB

Audio Output Connectors: Audio - Headphone Out (1/8" Mini)

Average Playback Time (Audio): 14 hours

Average Playback Time (Video): 3.5 hours

Power Source: Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery

System Compatibility: Windows, Macintosh

Batteries Included: Yes

Dimensions: 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.43"

Weight: 4.8 oz

Description: White Apple iPod Video 30GB 5.5G MP3 Player - The new 30-gigabyte Apple iPod gives you even more entertainment choices than previous models. In addition to storing almost three weeks' worth of music, 25,000 photos, or up to 40 hours of video, you can now enjoy games and movies. Using an optional iPod dock, you can display your movies and photos on a TV screen, so everyone can join in the fun. Order your White Apple iPod Video 30GB 5.5G MP3 Player today!

DESCRIPTION

IMPORTANT: Please Read Carefully!

Note: White Apple iPod 30GB Video. This unit has been refurbished to its original manufacturer specifications. Complete with all accessories. Ships within one business day of purchase and includes free UPS Ground shipping.

Source: This item was returned to a major retailer. It has been tested thoroughly and is functional.

Included: You will receive the following:

Unit, USB Sync Cable, Earbuds

Please note that, unless specified above, we do not guarantee software and/or manuals are included with this item. All manuals and most software are normally free for download from the manufacturer's website. You can find more information on where to download these items in our KnowledgeBase.

This item is part of a large lot of returned merchandise to a major retailer. It is unknown why the item was returned or if it was ever used.

This item has been thoroughly tested. If there are any functional flaws, they are noted above. Accessories will be exactly what is listed above.

I got my Gen 5.5 iPod for about $110 shipped off eBay. Granted, it was a little scratched up, but it still works perfectly and honestly, it sits in my glove box, I never use it or look at it unless I'm fixing to play a movie. I also read that the newer iPods could be downgraded on their firmware to work like the gen 5 iPods with the D3.. It's on the boards somewhere that somebody did it..

GL!

eGo

I got my Gen 5.5 iPod for about $110 shipped off eBay. Granted, it was a little scratched up, but it still works perfectly and honestly, it sits in my glove box, I never use it or look at it unless I'm fixing to play a movie. I also read that the newer iPods could be downgraded on their firmware to work like the gen 5 iPods with the D3.. It's on the boards somewhere that somebody did it..

GL!

eGo

Meh. My 5.5 gen after I'd say 6-7 months of being in my glovebox for use as the music HD for my D3, is finally going berserk. After the past week I have had to do a complete *restore\format* on it 5 times just to get it to NOT randomly freeze up when browseing on the D3. Once that happens you have to unplug it as a apple logo is present, and do a hard-reset. Very, very annoying >.<. I'm wondering what'll happen if i take it the Apple store...I'd rather have it REPAIRED than REPLACED with a new 6gen..

I got one for about $85 shipped. I have been having problems with it not responding to my car starting after it has been sitting for a few hours. Like when I get off owrk I have to open the armrest of my Jetta and hit a key to get the ipod to play. Then it will charge for about a month then stop charging and I will have to bring it into the house and hook it up to the computer.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is REALLY MOLDY, but I had this problem 2 weeks ago and it drove me friggin' NUTZ.. I finally remembered that I had redone the wiring on my D3 and had not turned on the "Charge iPod" setting int he D3. After I turned it back on all was well.. Hopefully you've found the answer, but if you didn't, here it is ;)

eGo

I got one for about $85 shipped. I have been having problems with it not responding to my car starting after it has been sitting for a few hours. Like when I get off owrk I have to open the armrest of my Jetta and hit a key to get the ipod to play. Then it will charge for about a month then stop charging and I will have to bring it into the house and hook it up to the computer.