AVIC411.com

How do you like iGo nav software?

I'm curious what folks thinkg of the iGo nav software in the F-series. Having played with a few units in stores I was not terribly impressed with overall ease of use, but then again I was not in a moving vehicle so it was hardly the best test of a nav system!

Up to now I've been a Garmin Nuvi user and so it's not surprising that I've found the Kenwood nav software a breeze to use (again, in stores). The AVIC just seems clunky by comparison (made worse by occasional overall sluggishness of the unit). Too many presses to set/change/view a route etc. The AVIC maps look nicer than the rather boring Garmin display, but the Garmin system as a whole just seems so much more polished.

What do you think?

Garmins are easier to use out of the box, because pretty much everything they can do is already there and there's not anything else that can be done with them. iGO, as delivered by Pioneer (software is extremely customizable, and Pioneer had what looks like to Chinese interns have a go at it) may need a few more clicks here, a few less there, to accomplish the same thing. With some work, iGO can be made to either mimic Garmin exactly, or do anything you want it to do, which is what we are figuring out on the Hacks forum...