AVIC411.com

Questions about AVIC-Z1...

Hi. Found your site when i was searching through google on whether or not the it would be possible for the Z1 would play DVD's while driving (cause on pioneer's site it says only while park brak engaged). I hack xbox's so I figured this thing could be hacked.

Anyways, now for my questions :

1) First one has to do with the DVD playback while in motion. I read about 20 threads where ducati wrote in every single one. The bypass will work on all units, correct ?? It's just the units that are pre-07/06 that will need the Flasher - am I understanding all this correctly ??

2) I have an '02 Tahoe. Crutchfield says it won't fit. Car Toys can do a custom thing to make it fit (basically just trim some of the dash plastic piece, then repaint, etc..). Who do you recommend install ?? I've only checked Car Toys and they were about 500-600 price range. What's a good price range to look for - installaling z1 (with bypass), bluetooth, & ipod ?? Does anyone have any pictures from a GMC or Chevy Tahoe / Silverado ??

3) Would the Alpine be a better choice ?? I keep reading how the Z1 has slow menus for the ipod. Does the Alpine have a faster one ?

4) Can you "hack" / upgrade the HDD to something bigger ?? Would love to go to a 100 GB and dump all my music into the music folder.

5) When they do an ipod connector do they just run a cable down wherever you want it ??

6) Would you recommend buying it off Ebay ?? Prices are a ton cheaper, but not sure about warranty, etc...

Ok that should cover all my questions I think for now. Thank you for takin the time to respond.
[quote name="KeyMastur"]Hi. Found your site when i was searching through google on whether or not the it would be possible for the Z1 would play DVD's while driving (cause on pioneer's site it says only while park brak engaged). I hack xbox's so I figured this thing could be hacked.

Anyways, now for my questions :[/quote]

1. Yes pre July 06 you can use the flasher circuit or manually flash the headlights to bypass. July 06 and on require inserting a pin in the rca harness and grounding that and the parking brake.
2. Your other option is to get the dash bezel from an 03+ gm truck. No modification to the bezel is needed then. As for pictures, there are several members here that have gms with the z1 installed.
3. I can't speak to the ipod interface speed, but the navi option for the alpine is a very expensive and sometimes hard to comeby addon.
4. Search is your friend. There's a long thread about trying to hack the drive. As far as I know It hasn't yet been done reliably.
5. That depends a lot of installers will just drop it in the glove box because it's easiest. You'll have to talk to whomever installs it for you.
6. My personal opinion of ebay is stay away, then again I've been ripped off in the past by it.