AVIC411.com

battery not holding charge

Hello,

I have a bit of a situation. I installed my unit on Saturday. Sunday I had my key turned to "accessories" for about an hour while I configuration my unit. The next morning my battery was dead. I had it jumped and have drove about 60 miles with it since (at least). When I start it (moreso in the morning), it behaves similarly to how it was when the battery was dead, but still starts. I had it checked at Advanced Auto and the diagnostic test showed a bad battery. He said that it is not holding a charge. I have an appointment tomorrow with Nissan to get it checked. It is a 5 month old Nissan Frontier.

My question is, can anything I have done caused this while installing (shorted a wire, etc)? The guy at autozone says no way, nothing you did with wiring could have done this, that it's just a bad battery. It just seems to coincidental when it happened, and it's only a 5 month old truck. I was wondering if any of you believe the Advanced Auto clerk. If it is a bad battery, I hope its covered with the bumper to bumper warranty. I just hope I make it to the dealer tomorrow without it dying.

I don't think your install caused your battery problems. If auto zone did a load test on it and said it was bad, sounds like you have a bad cell which isn't something that's unusual for a battery. When this happens your battery doesn't have near as much cranking and reserve power. I'd say to go with a new battery.

You probably had a bad cell in the battery, and running it down while doing the install finally put enough load on it that it wasn't able to recover.

Assuming you don't have any current draw when the car is turned off (switched ACC lead connected to constant power), just replace the battery and you should be set.