AVIC411.com

How to add POI's?

For my motorhome the possibility to add POI's myself of camp sites (=not campings) to my nav system would drastically increase its value to me. Unfortunately I have not found the possibility to do this for more entries than fit in the addressbook on the Avic HDx (Zx for USA). I have contacted Tele Atlas and Pioneer to offer a solution but without success.

I assume unlocking the drive, opens the opportunity to change the contents of files. I am not sure which files and how to do this. Has anyone tried this with success and which tools are suited for this?

Many thanks for directions.

Hello CamelTowing,

Thank you for your reply to my post:

------------------------------------------------

Only the F-series allows you to add POI

On the Z, your only option is to put specific ones in your address book before you leave

------------------------------------------------

I am aware of the fact that the F-series have the possibility that I would like to see for my Avic HD3. I Also know that currently the address book on the HD3 allows to store around 400 entries. For my hobby I would like to a) store a lot more: around 15.000 entries and B) I do not like to type and squeeze those POI's into the address book that maybe handy for a certain trip each time I leave home.

So, if Pioneer can add around a million additional POI's (HD3 -> HD3-II, don't know for Z2 -> Z3), why can't I add a small number like 15k to the files that hold the map data?? It is 'simply' a matter of knowing which files, their structure and a tool to edit them. I posted my subject consciously in the Hack/Mods thread because I realize my objective requires a hacker's approach and toolset.

So my appeal is to everybody who has been exploring the map data storage method to provide me with that knowledge and preferably a toolkit to plow my way into the Avic’s data cellar.

Regards.

Hello CaptainInsane,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I need to unlock the drive in the Avic before I can make adjustments to map data files on the harddisk. Those methods have been pretty well described on this forum. Currently I am only looking at the data files on the latest update DVD for the Avic HDx (CNDV-800HD). I assume their structure (at least the data portion of it) is not changed after transfer to HD.

For me playing with assembly language was a while ago, back in the years where cpu's like 6809 were popular. SH4 assembly language is not my habit. I would have to spent a lot of time to dive into IDA Pro. Do you know whether I can use free version 4.9 for the files on the Avic or do I need to buy version 5.3?

I also wonder: do I really have to go into assembly language in order to makes changes to map data? Isn't it enough to have knowledge of the KWI file format and an editor to change data in those structures?

I hope you (or others) can help me get a good picture of the approach required to add POI's to the data on the Avic.