AVIC411.com

Trigger reverse signal while moving forward?

Greetings, all. I have a 2004 Expedition with an Avic Z2. I already have a rearview camera with the monitor in the rearview mirror. I want to install a forward facing camera that will come on while in reverse (for parallel parking) as well as turned on with a switch. The reverse part is simple. just hook it up as I would a normal reverse camera and it should work fine. My issue is that I also want to be able to switch the camera on with a switch. Will the Z2 freak out if I send a signal up its reverse wire while I'm moving forward? I want it to just switch to the rear view (which would actually be the front view).

I know I have other options such as have the front view on the mirror, or only have my switch power the camera and switch to the split reverse/map view, but my preference is to have the Z2 think it's getting a reverse signal.

Thanks in advance.

the z2 is not going to freak out. but you have to watch how you wire this. if your tapped into the reverse wire. when your not in reverse, that wire is ground. when you throw your switch, you are supplying 12v. both at the same time will fry your camera

First of all, I'm *from* Texas, but I live in Maryland. And I spend a lot of time in DC and NYC. Plenty of places to parallel park. But it's more for when I pull up to things that are shorter than my hood. Like the Mini I tried to park in front of. It would be nice to see how close to it I actually am. Not necessary, as I haven't ever hit anything, but nice.