AVIC411.com

General F-Series Navigation Question

I've been thinking about getting an F700BT for a while now to replace the Garmin Nuvi 250 unit that I have been using for the past year or so. While the quality of the Nuvi's navigation has been excellent, I'd like to add an in-dash unit to replace the Monsoon head unit in my GTI.

I've only ever used the F-Series in display units at local retailers, so I was wondering how the navigation quality/accuracy/responsiveness compares with the Nuvi 250 and similar portable units. Is the route planning quickly calculated? Does it ever incorrectly display your location, or are there any other issues with the navigation?

As long as it can navigate properly and play my CDs and occasionally my iPod then I'll be satisfied.

I've had experience with the portable Garmin Nuvi units, and just recently completed a trip from New Jersey to Kentucky and back using the F700BT. The navigation functions and trip recalculations are almost identical between the two, and I can't say that one is better than the other.

The only issues I had were the POI functions, but that was in pretty rural parts of West Virginia and Kentucky. The F700BT told me that there were very few to no POI's about, even though I could see signs for gas stations and fast food places right by the interstate.

On the other hand, the one time I looked for gas when there wasn't an obvious gas station from the interstate, the F700BT performed perfectly, leading me to a gas station about 0.5 miles off the interstate, located in an area that I would not have seen from the highway.

Also, I don't know that the POI performance of the Garmin unit would have been any better in a very rural environment, either.