AVIC411.com

avic-zX tv tunners

I have a avh 7500 in one of my cars(my taxi) and I have to say that the tv tuner is my favorite feature.I live in the Montreal area (Longueuil) and I get 12 stations pretty clear.

I listen to tv about 70% of the time compare to dvds.Obvously I was parked while wating for clients so the reception was clear.(while driving that another thing all together.)I love to be able to watch hockey games on the CBC the news or just browse while I had 20 minutes to spare.

I shopping for a head unit this spring for my 2nd car and I want a tv tuner;the problem is that most new head unit don't even accept a tv tuner;if you are able to find one since most manufacturer stop making them because of the U.S. feburary 2009 deadline.But in Canada they are talking of a 2011 dealine so 2 more years.

I hopping that at this year C.E.S. somebody will come out with a digital tv tuner like they have in Europe for at least 2 if not 3 years.Heck it even available standard in a Mercedes S Series!

Kenwood had a prototype at last year C.E.S. that was suppose to come out at the end of 2008 but no news on that.

Let's keep ours fingers cross!

Did the digital tuner for the house in the truck yesterday - NO GOOD. I picked up 33 channels until I went faster than 2 mph and they locked up. I live in the city of West Palm Beach so reception was great.

What I did do is went and got a Slingbox, and use my AT&T Fuze phone with TV output and get all 700 channels Comcast puts out and able to use my DVR function to. No monthly fees - picture quality is a 7.5 on a scale of 1 - 10 but hey it works

If you have an SUV, get yourself a TracVision A7 satellite dish. I had the Pioneer analog TV tuner and it was fine. I got my money's worth out it for two years. It is still installed but will be pretty much worthless after February 17, 2009. ...

Well it sound like you may get a few extra months to view analog TV. Digital TV Conversion On Hold? Personally I think they should kill the signal that day and replace it with a screen that says "If you are seeing this screen you need a converter box". If they really want to delay the conversion they could keep the shows on after that for a month or so and just keep flashing that screen often.

• 3 weeks later...

blackh8552,

Exactly, it is LIVE TV. Not a DVD. I have plenty of DVDs too, but there is nothing like watching your local weather forecast live. Watching the local news. Watching breaking news on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC, watching ESPN, etc. DVDs have their place. So does live satellite TV. If you are just going to run around the corner and be at your destination in 5 minutes, then you listen to the radio (AM/FM/XM/Sirius) or you listen to your own CDs, MP3s or just leave everything off. If you are commuting 45 minutes to work, you have time to enjoy some TV. If you are waiting on your wife at the store, you can enjoy watching what you would be able to watch at home and not feel like you are missing the big game for example. I understand in the current economic environment, that $1,800.00 (US) or more is not something to take lightly. However, everyone here has, or is getting ready to buy an AVIC series head unit. Why do that? I mean the money spent on one of those is more than if you just used the AM/FM factory radio and CD player, got a portable satellite radio receiver, and bought a $49.99 portable DVD player and draped some $50 Emerson or Jensen monitors over the headrests and used a standalone Garmin or Navigon GPS system. If you ever take your vehicle on a long trip, live TV is invaluable. If you ever go to a game and want to tailgate, live TV is invaluable. If you ever go on a picnic or go camping, live TV is invaluable. Just my $0.02 worth on the matter. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just offering up some additional reasons why the $1,800 investment is not as bad as you might think, unless you have lost your job and could find better things to spend your money on than satellite TV.

• 6 months later...
. I got a great deal on Ebay for a new unit under $1800.00.

$1800 wow... you could buy about 1000 or more dvd movies off of ebay and never have to worry about watching the same movies twice

I have the Tracvision installed in my Escalade EXT for about two years now...best thing in the world. I spend most of the day in my truck as a Realtor and watch ESPN, NFL network, or put on HGTV for clients when they are in it. I tried the DVD movie approach before the Tracvision. I have the in dash 6 disc DVD changer which is great but for long trips all the DVD's take up needed space.

Tracvision is definitely the way to go, and once we tricked DirectTV into turning on HBO and the local stations it's even better..lol