AVIC411.com

Help!! Big GPS accuracy issue ugghh.

Okay, so here's the problem, my GPS location is not accurate. I mean this is the most literal way. When i am driving down a road there is a little red dot that shows up maybe 100 to 200 feet north of my true location. This is fine when i'm driving down a highway or what ever as the marker just moves over, but when i am in any residential area is bounces back and forth from the true street to side streets making the GPS useless because it has to recalculated every 2 seconds.

Now this is by no means a problem with the Deck. In fact its a problem with the maps in my city (60000 people). When i use the navi in any other city it works perfectly all the time. This even happened when I use most mapping systems such as Google Maps up until just recently as it was fixed. Now we also have an 08' accord that has navi system built in and it has a very simple feature that allows the user to compensate for the incorrect position by manually changing your physical location on the map.

I have looked all over but cant find any fix. Any ideas?

Oh, and this is with old firmware. i will install the new stuff and see what happens when ever i get a chance. I can also film and post a video if anyone has no idea what im talking about.

is your antenna under the dash or in a location that is not outside of the vehicle? when you go to Navi settings, how many sats do you have signal coming from? Which model do you have and if the 900 or 90, is the VSS wire hooked up?

imo, 100 ft isnt anything to get worked up on, but those are some things to get us started with.

Yep, i do currently have it under my dash, but i have also used it planted on the roof with identical results.

I have a f700 and no the VSS wire is not hooked up. I live in a flat city with no big buildings or under ground parades so its never been an issue. I believe i have either 11 or 14 satellites hitting my position and its says the accuracy is high. I tested it last night and v2.0 didn't help. As well as my guess of 100' wasn't quite accurate. It went from about 50 anywhere up to 300' away.

I have done a ton of troubleshooting and i am 100% positive it is the Maps the device came with. Even my good friend who installs these things professionally said that nearly all the GPS devices have incorrect maps for our city. Everywhere else they perform perfectly.

What i was wondering is if there is any way to perhaps line them up manually? Or even new maps would work.

btw, i appreciate your help. Im at a loss. Im going to try calling pioneer but they have been pretty useless in the past.

No, like I said before its not a problem with the unit, it is the maps. When I put it beside a handheld garmin gps unit and my blackberry the longitude and latitude are bang on.

As for upgrading to the 900, that would be a huge waste of money for me. I would bet that the gps receivers in both units are the same and it would yield nearly identical results.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for confirming the mapping issue.

I too live in Medicine Hat, AB and I purchased the 900Bt and was very frustrated with the mapping. My issue similar to others is that the dot was always about 50-60m East (and a little North) of where I should have been on the map. The arrow would snap to the nearest road to the dot which was frustrating. I found on busier roads it was somewhat accurate. Residential roads where way off. When playing with the unit, a simple destination route would recalculate 2-6 times within the City even if I was following the route it told me. I couldn't understand why and It drove me mad.

I had it professionally installed and I took it back numerous times and the installers had no idea why either. We moved the antenna, but never did hook up the VSS because we couldn't with my vehicle. The VSS only tells the deck that your still moving when it looses sat signal, so it wouldn't really help this issue, the strength was always great.

In the end, I returned the unit because it wasn't meeting my expectations for the mapping, everything else was awesome. After returning it, I discovered this forum and was releived to see that my issues were similar to others in Medicine Hat. I wanted to confirm my happenings with everyone else that purchased one in Medicine Hat who is also scratching their heads wondering why it is so off.

I hope the mapping information for Medicine Hat and other communities of similar size are updated more accuratly in the future. I am still keeping tabs on updates and waiting until this issue is resolved until I buy another one.