AVIC411.com

Bluetooth GPS instead of stock one?

Hey everyone. I have a F90BT and my install looks pretty stock except for the GPS receiver. I couldn't route it well, since I did not want to remove the bigger dashboard panel (the one that has passenger-side airbag under it). So I have a wire going from the panel above my radio to the gps receiver near the windshield. I tried hiding the receiver in the glove compartment and right above the radio under the dash, but I noticed the gps signal losing strength - I had the unit running and i saw the reception strength lines going from green to yellow/red.

I realized that i might actually be able to use a bluetooth receiver instead of the stock one. I have a very good bluetooth receiver from my pre-Avic days. If I boot into WinCE, go to Settings and set up External GPS, I should be able to connect the two. In My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo, there are several sys*.txt files that have gps settings:

[gps]

port=7

baud=9600

default_latitude="34.05116"

default_longitude="-118.24258"

so i can adjust the port, in case I can't set it to port 7 by default.

Ideas? Do you guys think it's possible/probable that this would work?

Also, has anyone successfully hidden the gps receiver under a dash without losing much signal strength?

That much trouble? That's very little trouble if it actually ends up working. I was set on buying a carputer but I could not find a double din screen/AM/FM/AMP combo with AM/FM and buttons being accessible from the OS. DL650 is the screen that came the closest to that, but the radio is independent, and so are the buttons. Also, carputer would run up well over a grand, whereas f90bt cost me around 600 with all necessary installation parts.

That much trouble? That's very little trouble if it actually ends up working. I was set on buying a carputer but I could not find a double din screen/AM/FM/AMP combo with AM/FM and buttons being accessible from the OS. DL650 is the screen that came the closest to that, but the radio is independent, and so are the buttons. Also, carputer would run up well over a grand, whereas f90bt cost me around 600 with all necessary installation parts.

Quit being lazy and hard wire it is what we are trying to say. :roll: kids these days

My reception bars don't move past half the strength of the reception with nothing obstructing the sky - I even took it outside of the car to see the best case scenario. To compare, my bluetooth gps i-Blue 737 had much better reception from my glove box. It also held a reception to about 8 satellites on average, whereas F90BT holds 5-6.

I just also want to say that in no way am I bashing the F-series. I think the overall unit quality is GREAT and features are amazing for the price. But if i wasn't looking to improve it, I wouldn't be on this forum, now, would I? :)

My reception bars don't move past half the strength of the reception with nothing obstructing the sky - I even took it outside of the car to see the best case scenario. To compare, my bluetooth gps i-Blue 737 had much better reception from my glove box. It also held a reception to about 8 satellites on average, whereas F90BT holds 5-6.

I just also want to say that in no way am I bashing the F-series. I think the overall unit quality is GREAT and features are amazing for the price. But if i wasn't looking to improve it, I wouldn't be on this forum, now, would I? :)

I am sorry but that is in no way a improvement. Your to stupid to just do a little extra hands on work to do it right. mount it on your roof and you will be fine. stop trying to make it harder for your self and do it right.

Guys, no need for hostility. OP, if you have it out in the open with no obstruction, and are still getting a bad signal, it may be a bad antenna. So mounting it on the car would do no good. If you still would like to know the answer to your question, try PM'ing one of the AVIC hackers on the forum. They may be able to shed some light on this topic for you.

Also, has anyone successfully hidden the gps receiver under a dash without losing much signal strength?

Yes, I attached mine right to the top of the head unit under the dash. As long as it is positioned on a metal surface it should give you enough reception to give accurate navigation. Do yourself a favor and forget all of the BT antenna stuff. The antenna is magnetic so just position it on a metal surface and you should be good. Anything from about half bars for signal strength will give you much the same accuracy as full bars so dont worry about it.