AVIC411.com

RCA Outs or Speaker Level Outs?

Ok, lets get to the basics. First of all what are you installing it in (make, model, year)? Second, what specific unit are you installing (AVIC-F90BT, D3 etc.) Third, what are you wanting out of your system for sound (really loud, lots of bass.... doesn't need to be really loud......? Answer these and we'll take it from there. One word of wisdom however, if you have no experiance at all at doing this you might reconsider having it done for you or having someone help you that does have experiance. We can give you help and advice however it's diffecult to do this over the computer and insure it's done properly.

I own a 2008 Volkswagen GLI (Jetta) with in-dash CD changer. I want to install a F90BT.

I plan to install a decently loud subwoofer in the trunk. I think I need an amp for this. I'd like to install an on/off switch for the sub in my cabin.

The stock speakers are loud enough, but I may swap them out for something better quality. Should this be done from the start?

I know I need a dash kit: American International VW-K1017

An antenna adapter: Metra 40-EU55

A wiring harness: PAC C2R-VW

From what I understand, the wiring harness converts the OEM wires (signals?) to work with the aftermarket unit. It also seems to make the install a lot easier by supplying reverse signal, vehicle speed signal and parking brake outputs.

Am I right so far? What else do I need to know?

Thanks for all of your help. I'm a software guy, but I'd like to install this myself; more for the experience than the money. If I get desperate I can take it to a local place, but I don't want it to come down to that. I'd prefer to make a nice Saturday project out of it.

Thanks again,

e39m5

Yes, looking at the installation instructions for the PAC connector you've selected you should have the connections you need. http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/c2r-vw.pdf Just hook up the speaker wires from your head unit to the PAC connector and you'll use the internal amp of the head unit to power your speakers. If you want to run a seperate sub woofer you need to come off your sub out RCA to an external amp, then connect the speaker wires for the sub off that. If you'd like to be able to switch your sub on and off you could put a switch in your remote wire to the amp. This is the wire that sends a signal to your amp to turn on when the head unit is turned on.

Do you plan on doing the hard wire bypass or the software bypass to the unit? http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17715

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19689

If you decide to swap out the stock speakers, you should be able to do that anytime.

Thanks for putting up with me =D.

Ok, this is starting to seem as straight forward as I hoped it'd be. I'll probably try and install next weekend.

The bypass is so I can watch movies while driving, right?

I can't say I plan to, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Will having this PAC connector make either method preferable?

Thanks,

e39m5

Yes, the one feature of the bypass allows you to watch movies while the vehicle is in motion which is illegal by the way, but there's more to it than that. It also allows you to make adjustments to your nav system which you otherwise wouldn't be able to do while in motion. I'd recommend doing it not so much for yourself but for someone you have riding as a passinger to be able to do this. With using the PAC you should still be able to do this. The method you choose is up to you.