AVIC411.com

Restoring Z3 image to drive question?

I have a Z1 and when I went to the Z2 I downloaded the .IMG file and using a friends computer who has PATA (I only have SATA) I was able to restore it and upgrade to a Z2.

I now have the Z3 image and I want to do the same, but I don't have access to an older PC with PATA. I do however have access to a PCI PATA card. I wonder if this will work?

The reason why it won't work using a USB -> PATA adapter is because the unlocking software cannot read the drive right? So if you had a brand new drive, you wouldn't have this limitation? I wonder if the unlocking software would read the drive if it was connected to the PCI card?

If you upgraded your Z1 to a Z2, did you disable the security after unlocking it? If so, then the drive will still be unlocked, and you can use a USB to PATA to reimage the drive.

The drive unlock sofware will read the drive if installed on a PATA PCI card, but you may not be able to disable the security. It just depends on the PC.

If you upgraded your Z1 to a Z2, did you disable the security after unlocking it? If so, then the drive will still be unlocked, and you can use a USB to PATA to reimage the drive.

The drive unlock sofware will read the drive if installed on a PATA PCI card, but you may not be able to disable the security. It just depends on the PC.

I bought a new 60GB Toshiba drive from NewEgg.com when I did the Z1 -> Z2. I would imagine it is locked again, but maybe the security part is not there?

I bought a new 60GB Toshiba drive from NewEgg.com when I did the Z1 -> Z2. I would imagine it is locked again, but maybe the security part is not there?

It's there unless you specifically disabled it. The drive will need to be unlocked before it can be upgraded.

I figured I would have to use that website where they charge like $5 or something to unlock the drive. You don't keep any of the data, but I don't care about that. I am just concerned that using the PCI card I may or may not be able to read the drive and perform the unlock. I guess I'll give it a try...