AVIC411.com

Z2 now Z3 Upgraded HD, blank screen in cold weather.

Hello Guys,

I have a real interesting problem...

I have an original Z2 that required the firmware upgrade when first purchased for the video/blank screen problem.

This surfaced my first winter after my original purchase where in cold weather I would have a blank white screen with a couple of horizontal lines going across it. It would go away after the vehicle warmed up.

I installed this firmware fix from the Pioneer website, and the problem went away.

Now a few years later, I since updated my Z2 to a Z3 and larger hard drive. I am now running Version 03.0000 Platform 3.000100 HD Version 3.100200 and GPS Version 1.200000 on my 60 GB HD.

I was under the impression my Z2 running Z3 software would have this fix in it. Well, I had some cold weather recently and my problem is back.

Should I download the fix again from Pioneer and try and update it on the software version I am running?

Anyone else having the blank screen problem now that it's cold.

Thanks,

Keith

Just a follow up on my problem...

Today while driving, the working screen suddenly went white with two horizontal lines down the middle. Not sure what made me do this...

But I pushed on the passenger side of the frame, and it poped back on.

It's almost I have an intermittent connection.

Maybe there is a ribbon cable somewhere that the pins contract when the weather is cold. I ruled out the disk being the problem because everything worked even though I could not see anything.

Anyone have experience with the cabling of the LCD with the Head unit?

Its seems like its definitely an issue related to the SCREEN or the FLEX ribbon cable or its contact where the connection takes place with the cable and the unit.

Does your unit still seem like its functioning despite the white lines on the screen?

I've seen the flex cable. Its so fragile, and the contact pins are metallic and held down by a clip towards the bottom of the unit.

If you are knowledgable about the unit, you can remove the screen and look behind at the flex cable to see if its loose or needs to be replaced. FYI be careful not to just yank the ribbon cable, its held down by a clip that needs to be lifted first.

Hello,

Yes, I feel confident that when the screen is blank all the functions still work. I pressed real hard around the frame that day it went out, and it has not gone out since. What I wish I had access to is a "Service Manual" that may show some information on the unit that is above the User Manual. I work with electroncis, and have built electronic kits years ago from the old Heathkit company, so I feel ok with taking it apart. But there is nothing like a good set of instructions. Maybe someone reading this knows where I can find a pdf file that has the Service info.

I am very happy it has not stopped working since I pressed on the screen, maybe that is what it needed. It's interesting when I called Pioneer about this problem when my unit was a Z2, they quickly told me to download the firmware freeze fix and I was convinced that was it, and now I find out its actually a loose internal cable.

Thanks again,

Keith