AVIC411.com

An on/off switch

I am looking to install the Pioneer F900BT into my car in the morning.

One problem I have is my car doesn't have an ignition feed. So I am going to have to install the unit using a constant feed for power.

Now I have searched the unit and manual but don't seem able to find an on/off switch. Is there a way of turning the unit on and off manually?

I would need to turn the unit of myself when I leave the car as the way it will be wired it won't turn off by itself when I turn the engine off.

Help appriciated guys and gals :)

if you have to go that route, can't you install your own "on/off" switch ? just feed the constant power thru that ? radio shack probably sells something that would work.

I could but surely there is a way of turning a unit off. Not everyone wants a bright unit in there face everytime they are in the car particularly at night when it would be good to turn the unit off completly whilst driving.

I don't want to go rebuilding my cars electrical system. Any other headunit I have had has always had a simple on/off switch/button? Why not the F900BT?

page 138 of the owners manual for f700 states how to turn off the screen. it mentions that the navigation screen can be off and you can still get voice commands from it. I don't think that helps with you having a constant power source and not being able to turn it off though.

Nope. I want to be able to turn the unit off. As it is just now when I turn the engine off and leave the car the unit remains on and I have no way of turning it off.

I find it very strange (and to be honest poor design) that Pioneer haven't put a simple on/off button of the unit. It's the first time I have ever seen this.

I find it very strange (and to be honest poor design) that Pioneer haven't put a simple on/off button of the unit. It's the first time I have ever seen this.

I find it equally strange that a car built in 2007 doesn't have a switched ignition feed :?

Me too but apparently I had a 'smart' original headunit that didn't require control via an ignition feed.

Looks like I am going to spend my New Years day tapping into a ignition feed from somewhere to get the unit working 100% correct.

I find it equally strange that a car built in 2007 doesn't have a switched ignition feed :?

Me too but apparently I had a 'smart' original headunit that didn't require control via an ignition feed.

Looks like I am going to spend my New Years day tapping into a ignition feed from somewhere to get the unit working 100% correct.

Hi Brav-oh

I am not a expert, but Iam I right in saying your car has Can-Bus or alike?

If so that is why your car does not have a Ign feed ! You need some sort of can-bus adaptor to convert the car to be able to act as a switch.

I would suggest speaking to a good car radio shop, and they should help !

I had a simular thing with a Merc Van a couple of years ago.

But to get to the point I also think that not having a 0n/off switch is very poor, and as for the rest of the unit it is great

Radiotwo

I forgot exactly what car is was, but I installed an iPod FM modulator and went to look for the ACC wire, car didn't have one. turned out it had a data wire that told a relay when to turn the radio on. Weird setup.

As for the OP, the radio does not have an off function, only a screen off. You'd have to put a switch somewhere to turn the unit on/off. Or....

You can hook up the constants and get your ACC wire from one of the ignition wires coming off the ignition harness. Then it would act as it should.

My biggest gripe with Pioneer's AVIC series is the lack of an "off" button/option. Not only does the unit itself stay on all the time, the "remote/amp" wire stays hot, even when you turn the screen off. The only way to completely power down the unit when the car is on is to install an inline switch.

I have a 2007 Vauxhall Corsa and this is the same... there is no switched Ignition wire to the headunit as it comes across the CAN-BUS. My car does however have an 'ACC' position on the ignition and I would presume yours does too?

What I did was installed my own switched Ignition wire. I took the shroud down around the steering column / ignition barrel and got my multimeter on the job. I found the wire which gave +12v when in the 'ACC' position behind the ignition barrel and tapped that wire onto the 'ACC' (Red) wire on the Pioneer loom.

I now have a switched Ignition feed which I can control my HU from and it works as it would in any other car... these bloody CAN-BUS Systems are more trouble than they're worth IMHO. :(