AVIC411.com

Stolen iPod, music retrievable?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, Beefy, everything you said is correct..to a point. Perhaps technically what i did, knowingly or unknowingly, is illegal. Maybe what I deleted could have been worth millions. Perhaps it is easy for any member or anybody at all to tip off the local police here. But you know what? The point of the matter is it simply will not happen. Be realistic now. You are explaining things BY THE BOOK, and nothing is done by the book anymore. Even if someone tried tipping them off, assuming they had my name, my address, any of that info to give to the police (of course they have ways of tracking it down, but you really think theyre gonna put that effort into it?), believe me when I tell you the police around here have much bigger things to worry about than someone's hard drive being stolen, and someone else unknowingly buying it. The same principle goes for someone buying bootlegged movies. Try calling the cops and telling them you know someone who bought a bootlegged movie. Nothing will happen. And if they did take action, it would be after the one making them, not the buyer. By the books you are correct, but this is not a by the books world. So I'll ignore everything you said in this thread, since none of it had to do with the original topic in the first place. I'd think after I flat out told you I didn't care to hear what you had to say that you'd stop, but I guess you're the kinda guy that has to be right and have the last word, huh? Well, you can have it, frankly I don't care enough about what you have to say to keep this going. I have no problem with you personally so to not end things on a bad note, take care and if you have any questions concerning your AVIC, feel free to PM.

Im not quite sure how this went so off topic... But CMIYC, I think highly of you... You have always been a help when I needed it, and I have found you to be a pretty level headed forum member.

But I have to disagree with you here. The simple fact is you do not know what the contents of this hard drive were. If in fact they were worth MILLIONS (lets all agree that this is highly unlikely because the drive would have been a little more secured) Im sure the owner could pressure your local police department to investigate a tip.

The second thing that may not be understood, is that if in fact the drive IS STOLEN... you dont know what else was stolen... Or if someone was injured during the theft... or if this was stolen as part of a long string of crimes that is already under investigation.

Although you may be a small fish to your local PD, maybe they want to know who this is that is going around stealing this stuff. Now with all this said, can we please drop it and get back to what we are all here for???

All of this whining about staying on the "original topic" is pointless because that question has been answered and as such, if we are DONE with that topic, then the thread should be closed, no?

The thread GOT off topic due to the sheer irony of something "bad" happening to someone of seemingly questionable moral fortitude and then that person whining about it here.

I wasn't the only person to see the irony, but apparently, I was the only person to strike a nerve with the OP. Probably because I'm "newb" on this forum and therefore am not allowed an opinion.

Bottom line here as far as the TOPIC is concerned is that you cannot retrieve your music from your AVIC because it was never ON your AVIC.

The question has been answered... so move on.

The question about the "shady scenario" BECAME the topic AFTER you brought up buying an obviously stolen Hard drive and because there was obvious energy around that topic and people have the freedom to discuss issues like that on a public forum.

You could have kept that info to yourself, but you felt the need to share the details of the transaction for whatever reason and that has raised some eyebrows.... so we talked about it... that's what people do on web forums, right?

I am sorry to hear that you think you live in a lawless wasteland where the police don't have time to investigate crimes other than murder and rape. Sounds like you might want to move...

But truthfully, I didn't think Centereach, New York, was that bad a place to live...

I mean, come on, a long island suburb (if you want to call it that) of 27,000 people and a median income of 70% more than the state average AND one of the highest costs of living in the country???

That really sounds like a Hardcore place to live, bro. You talk like it's a war zone... I'd like to invite you to my neck of the woods if you think Long Island is rough. :wink:

In fact, the funny thing about the crime rates there... They're also some of the lowest in the country... and what are the crimes with the highest numbers on the list???? Burglary and Car theft... interesting.

Seems like the cops just MIGHT be interested in stolen merchandise and getting to the perps... which usually means, going through the buyers.....

Just a thought.

Dude, likewise I have no personal beef with you... like You said, we don't even know each other...

What I don't like is people bragging about obvious wrong doing on forums that I am a part of and then getting mad when someone calls them on it.

First off, this is a community, so that's what communities do, they police themselves...

But secondly, and more importantly, there is no need to draw unwanted attention to yourself OR the community that others are a part of just because you think it's cool that you got a killer deal on some obviously hot merchandise and you think that nobody cares and you'll never get busted...

Teflon Don.... they caught him... what makes you think they can't catch you?

OK, back to the original question one last time...

NO, you cannot retrieve your Songs from the AVIC...because they were never ON your avic.

Quite frankly, it's hard to believe that a guy who has been around this forum as long as the OP has doesn't know that HIS nav unit doesn't have an internal hard drive, thus making it impossible for it to store the music from his ipod... If it could, there would be no need to keep the ipod attached to the Unit in the first place....seems like a newb question which CMIYC clearly is not..

Seems like there may have been an ulterior motive for the original post in the first place...but that's mere speculation...

I guess the mods can go ahead close the thread since none of the other information shared here has any value.

All of this whining about staying on the "original topic" is pointless because that question has been answered and as such, if we are DONE with that topic, then the thread should be closed, no?

The thread GOT off topic due to the sheer irony of something "bad" happening to someone of seemingly questionable moral fortitude and then that person whining about it here.

I wasn't the only person to see the irony, but apparently, I was the only person to strike a nerve with the OP. Probably because I'm "newb" on this forum and therefore am not allowed an opinion.

Bottom line here as far as the TOPIC is concerned is that you cannot retrieve your music from your AVIC because it was never ON your AVIC.

The question has been answered... so move on.

The question about the "shady scenario" BECAME the topic AFTER you brought up buying an obviously stolen Hard drive and because there was obvious energy around that topic and people have the freedom to discuss issues like that on a public forum.

You could have kept that info to yourself, but you felt the need to share the details of the transaction for whatever reason and that has raised some eyebrows.... so we talked about it... that's what people do on web forums, right?

I am sorry to hear that you think you live in a lawless wasteland where the police don't have time to investigate crimes other than murder and rape. Sounds like you might want to move...

But truthfully, I didn't think Centereach, New York, was that bad a place to live...

I mean, come on, a long island suburb (if you want to call it that) of 27,000 people and a median income of 70% more than the state average AND one of the highest costs of living in the country???

That really sounds like a Hardcore place to live, bro. You talk like it's a war zone... I'd like to invite you to my neck of the woods if you think Long Island is rough. :wink:

In fact, the funny thing about the crime rates there... They're also some of the lowest in the country... and what are the crimes with the highest numbers on the list???? Burglary and Car theft... interesting.

Seems like the cops just MIGHT be interested in stolen merchandise and getting to the perps... which usually means, going through the buyers.....

Just a thought.

Dude, likewise I have no personal beef with you... like You said, we don't even know each other...

What I don't like is people bragging about obvious wrong doing on forums that I am a part of and then getting mad when someone calls them on it.

First off, this is a community, so that's what communities do, they police themselves...

But secondly, and more importantly, there is no need to draw unwanted attention to yourself OR the community that others are a part of just because you think it's cool that you got a killer deal on some obviously hot merchandise and you think that nobody cares and you'll never get busted...

Teflon Don.... they caught him... what makes you think they can't catch you?

OK, back to the original question one last time...

NO, you cannot retrieve your Songs from the AVIC...because they were never ON your avic.

Quite frankly, it's hard to believe that a guy who has been around this forum as long as the OP has doesn't know that HIS nav unit doesn't have an internal hard drive, thus making it impossible for it to store the music from his ipod... If it could, there would be no need to keep the ipod attached to the Unit in the first place....seems like a newb question which CMIYC clearly is not..

Seems like there may have been an ulterior motive for the original post in the first place...but that's mere speculation...

I guess the mods can go ahead close the thread since none of the other information shared here has any value.

I want to make one thing clear, and that's this conflict did not start because you are a "newb". I don't even like to the term TBH, as everyone, even the most imformantive members were once newbs as well. You struck a nerve with your karma remark and how your post appreaered to be you were speaking as though you were better than me. Nothing to do with you. Of course you are allowed an opinion, but there's a difference between expressing an opinion and making uncalled for remarks. That being said....

The hard drive being brought up came from every members advice to get one and back everything up. And the only irony I saw from this whole thing is how someone I haven't seen for years was selling something I was just advised to purchase, not more than a week after my possession was stolen from me. It was never about bragging or gloating, only the simple fact that irony like that does not happen every day. Was it stolen? I had no idea at the time. Did it seem fishy?? In a way, yes. How could he not know what it was if it was his. But that's not the point.

And I'll be completely honest, I'm not in Centereach. Googling where I work won't give you my exact address. And I never said it was a war zone here, but much worse does go on besides petty things like this, so don't talk like you have it so much worse. A good friend of mine was shot and killed not very long ago. Google Tommy Herzberg since you're into finding things out about where I live.

And finally, I don't know what other motive you think I posted the original question for other than finding that answer, but whatever you're thinking is idiotic and untrue. Let's recap, I posted the ltrhead on the 2nd, a day after it was taken. I posted the drive post 6 days later. What other possible reason could I have for this thread other than seeking an answer to the question I asked? So once again, please be realistic here. Back to the point of the question, I truly thought the info might be in there. Obvioudly we all know how it works, it memorizes your ipod memory then listens to your command and pulls it up. Didn't know if somewhere deep in the files it kept a track of the memorized information so I don't think that was a newbish question. Sorry I don't know as muchb about OS's as you think I should.

I'm not some scumbag punk kid like you're trying to make me out to be. Check any thread I've been a part of and you'll see I'm one of the most polite and informative members on this forum, unless provoked of course. This was nothing more than a possibility for retrieviing my music, or at the very least a list of the songs so i can start over, but you turned it into something more than just that. Why?

This will be my last post on this thread to resume taking care of other threads. I said what I had to say and if you disagree, then take it up with me in a PM. Take care everyone

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your friend. I don't care where you live, that kind of thing sucks when it happens.

But some might say that a drug deal gone bad ending in a death is one more argument for karma...

Fortunately, it looks like the kid who killed him was put away for a long, long time, so Karma DID get him... Murder is murder and drug deal or not, your Friend didn't deserve to die like that...I'm sure you agree.

My point was that we all know that it's not hard to find people anymore these days... so just be discreet if you're dealing with potentially incriminating info ONLINE. That's all I was trying to convey.

If someone stole a hard drive from me full of valuable info.. the FIRST thing I would do (after reporting it) would be to start searching for the perp... ONLINE... if that thing was important, they're looking for it... trust me.

Like I said, You seem to be pretty savvy on the AVIC stuff from some of your other posts which made the whole thing seem off to me, but it was mere speculation that there may have been an ulterior motive and I honestly wouldn't know what that was... which is why I qualified the statement.

I don't take you as a bad guy, and I'm sure you wouldn't care if I did, but I thought you came off a bit sideways about the whole deal... nuff said.

Dude,

I never said I was better than you and I never meant to imply it, but the karma remark still applies in it's purest form. That doesn't mean you SET OUT to be malicious, but you know what they say, what goes around comes around...

Just because your ipod was stolen FIRST is irrelevant... but again, it wasn't that you set out to steal from someone else, but in the end, you helped enable the crime. I'm betting the guy who stole your ipod has been stolen from recently (or will be soon) as well... it's just how the world works... call it Karma or Newton's law... every action has a consequence even if you can't necessarily connect the two in your mind.

All said, maybe we got off on the wrong foot, but that wasn't my intent. You seem to be a pretty helpful member here and I intend to be one too, so in the end, we would be better off working together to promote our community in a positive light rather than battling here.

Oh, and by the way... google East St. Louis if you wanna see a war zone...

Tell me it's not hard core.... anywhere on long island would be paradise compared to East Saint... trust me. Fortunately for me, I'm out of the hood... (college will do that for ya).

Peace,

Beefy.

All said, maybe we got off on the wrong foot, but that wasn't my intent. You seem to be a pretty helpful member here and I intend to be one too, so in the end, we would be better off working together to promote our community in a positive light rather than battling here.

Agreed. Skicrave or JasonH, please lock or delete this thread. Thank you.