AVIC411.com

f500bt install problems with cable

Hello all,

I am new to this site and have read a lot before making my decision on buying the f500bt. Thanks to this site, I feel as though I made a good decision, and feel more than happy with the wealth of information available on this site. Now to the bad stuff.

I contected everything using the install cable that came with the unit (The wires are really cheap). Anyway, the problem I am having is that the unit will not charge once it is in the cradle. It charges using the wall outlet and it charges using the cig. lighter, but not using the cradle and harness it came with. Right now it is hooked up to a distribution block that is pulling power directly from the battery. I want to be able to get this thing to work using the harness, but need some help.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you check the following wires are connected correctly:

YELLOW- permanent +12volts from battery, not connected via ignition switch

RED- switched +12volts from accessory position on ignition switch - it's ok to tap into the feed to the cigarette lighter

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is only one problem. There is no RED wire in this harness. There is only a + Battery (YELLOW). It is not like a typical car stereo power harness because it is not meant to replace the stock stereo, just add a portable navigation unit to it. I will be checking the pins in the cradle later today to see if they are getting any juice, but any more suggestions would be helpful.

ok you dont have it hooked up all the way. You are almost there though! You will notice on the hardwire cable that their is female input on it. That female input is for the male end of the cig lighter adapter. I know it is dumb and it should of all been incorporated into the din cable but it is not. Just hardwire the cig lighter plug and plug it in and viola fully functional with no wait for start-up!

OK. Can you please explain to me why I have to have the cig. lighter hard wired if the harness is supposed to do what the cig. lighter does. I was under the impression that I did not need the cig. lighter adapter if I am using the harness that comes with it.

Yeah I know it is a pretty dumb design but that is what u have to do. If you look at the hardwire harness it does not give you switched or ground because you have to supply the unit with it via the cig lighter plug. I always just open up cig lighter plugs and solder wires right to the board. When I first looked at the hardwire harness i was dumbfounded that it was not supplied with switched or ground.