AVIC411.com

Calculate ETA - Vehicle Type/Speed

Is there anyone who knows if you can change the vehicle type/speed that is used for calculating the estimated time of arrival?

It seems to me that the ETA is pretty inaccurate. In my case I usually beat the ETA with about 30-45 minuttes on a 2,5 hour trip - and I am not driving that fast :)

On my previous Navigon PNA it was possible to change the vehicle speed used for the calculation and I noticed that there are some variables in sys.txt that maybe could help - I just dont know the options for the variables (and if they have anything to do with the issue). The variables are:

vehicle_type=

slow_car_speed

slow_car_multiplactor

fast_car_speed

fast_car_multiplactor

It seems to me that the ETA is pretty inaccurate. In my case I usually beat the ETA with about 30-45 minuttes on a 2,5 hour trip - and I am not driving that fast :)

FWIW, I'd rather have an overestimation of the time to get to the destination. It makes me feel better as I see the ETA go down. :wink:

My guess is that the ETA is calculated with very conservative parameters, such as never ever ever exceeding the posted speed limit. The travel times that Google Maps provides is also always longer than what it takes me.

In your case, if the ETA for your 2.5 hour trip is on a highway with a 60 mph speed limit, and you drive 75 mph, you'll get there 30 minutes quicker.

The only two times I've really paid attention to the ETA was on a drive from NJ to Kentucky (12 hours), and another one from NJ to Chicago (14 hours). Both were fairly accurate. I reached my destination in about an hour less time than what the ETA said.