AVIC411.com

Help - VTL300 camera won't turn on in reverse

Hi all. Just installed VTL300 on my D2. It works fine when I go into rear camera mode but it's half screen and won't turn on automatically when I put into reverse.

I orginally had the unit installed professionally. The reverse wire from D2 seems to be going into the engine bay via firewall.

Do I need to tap into rear backup light in order for this to work? I am currently getting 12V and ground from the headunit.

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for the reply - yes, camera is set "on" and "battery" for polarity.

I see that both VSS and rear sensor wires are connected to something (inside the firewall). I am starting to wonder if reverse wire is properly connected...

Shouldn't the reverse wire be connected to rear backup light lead (way in the back?)

Thanks again!

Yes, it should be connected to the reverse signal lead, it could be that's where they tapped into it (all the leads going to the back come from the front). You could take a multimeter and test it to see if you get a reading when it's put in reverse. Double check their connection also, maybe it's bad. What vehicle do you have ?

Thanks again for your reply.

I have 2002 Ford Escape. I know that there is a reverse wire black/pink near the driver dash but I don't think it will power the camera.

I also noticed something strange. When I first start the car, I see the full screen camera view even though I have NOT put the car in reverse! This full view goes away when I click on other views (e.g. Nav, radio).

Did I screw up my connection by tapping my camera with 12v acc and ground of the D2 headunit? Or is my reverse wire from headunit not connected properly.

Thanks again

Your camera should have three leads other than the rca connection. You should have a power lead (red) lead probably connected to the same red lead to your head unit which is the switched power. A ground (black) of course connected to a ground. And the reverse signal lead which as you know connected to the wire to your reverse lamp that recieves 12V when your car is put in reverse. Like I mentioned before you should test this connection to see what it does when you put it and out of reverse. I suggested a multimeter but if you don't have one you can use a test lamp. If you don't have one of these either, you can pick one up at an auto parts store for a couple of bucks. One other thing to check is to make sure your reverse lights even come on in back when the vehicles put in reverse.