AVIC411.com

Radio reboots when I crank my car

I do not have any trouble starting the car.

But, last weekend when I was going through the settings on the unit and had the key in ACC position for about 45 minutes to an hour I could not start the car and had to jump it. After that happened I started to have this boot problem.

The battery light does not go on.

If it was not for the fact that, when I have the key in the ACC position the unit works normally I would think the battery or the alternator is bad.

Also why does it happen only when the car stands still and off for a time period but works after the car is moved a short distance?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your battery should hold up for longer than an hour with the radio on. I strongly suspect that you do need a new battery. How old is your battery? Get the biggest one you can that fits your battery compartment.

I do not have any trouble starting the car.

But, last weekend when I was going through the settings on the unit and had the key in ACC position for about 45 minutes to an hour I could not start the car and had to jump it. After that happened I started to have this boot problem.

The battery light does not go on.

If it was not for the fact that, when I have the key in the ACC position the unit works normally I would think the battery or the alternator is bad.

Also why does it happen only when the car stands still and off for a time period but works after the car is moved a short distance?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, the nice thing about your problem is that it is repeatable. I would first start by isolating the problem. Is it something wrong with your power system or your radio? If it is a problem with your radio then you can send it back. If it is a problem with your power system, lets say your battery then you can replace that.

So, to isolate the problem, I would connect a voltmeter to the ACC or the Battery constant (+12V) that goes into your radio. I would first start off with the Battery constant (+12V). Jump in your car and begin driving, when the problem occurs, look at your voltmeter and see if the voltage drops below an acceptable level. For the AVIC, that acceptable level would be +10.8V. If it doesn't drop below an acceptable level then repeat procedure, this time for the ACC. If you don't observe significant voltage drop then the problem must be a defective radio and you should be able to get it replace under warranty. If it is the ACC/+12V then you know you either have a problem with your battery or alternator. If you suspect your battery or alternator take your vehicle to the nearest Autozone where they will test your battery/alternator for free and determine if you need a new one. I hope this helps and good luck.

• 1 month later...

If your car is more then two years old and is used every day I do not care how many batteries you have it could happen. Especially if your HU is working and then one day, all of a sudden, it goes to blank screen when starting your car. Another indication is after you experience the blank screen and then you drive your car awhile and then restart your car and the HD unit works. Believe it, I saw it with my own eyes.