AVIC411.com

no Illumination wire??

Hey guys...So I am hooking wires up this morning and I got to look for the Illumination wire and there isnt one on the harness that they gave me?? It even says Illumination.....orange, but on the harness its not there. All there is is a dimmer pos and dimmer neg ??? What I am wondering is if it would be ok to hook the Illumination wire to dimmer pos?

• 1 month later...

you probably have installed by now but hooking up the illumination wire to the red(accesory) wire will keep all the lights on as mentioned wbut will also keep the unit in a state of night mode 24/7. The biggest issue with this is that it will dim the screen all the time. In some areas such as phoenix where it is very bright.... this makes the screen impossibly hard to see during the day. if you have a DMM(digital multi meter) test the dimmer + wire to verify that it sits at ground with lights off and goes to 12V when parking lights are on. This should be the wire you will want to hook the illumination wire up to...not the red wire. :D

you probably have installed by now but hooking up the illumination wire to the red(accesory) wire will keep all the lights on as mentioned wbut will also keep the unit in a state of night mode 24/7. The biggest issue with this is that it will dim the screen all the time. In some areas such as phoenix where it is very bright.... this makes the screen impossibly hard to see during the day. if you have a DMM(digital multi meter) test the dimmer + wire to verify that it sits at ground with lights off and goes to 12V when parking lights are on. This should be the wire you will want to hook the illumination wire up to...not the red wire. :D

AVIC switches to night mode by time/position, dimmer wire only affects brightness, somewhat...

AVIC switches to night mode by time/position, dimmer wire only affects brightness, somewhat...

I wasn't able to find a setting for that... mine definitely switches based on lights. I wish it did not... I have an F-90BT with the update installed. I used to just leave my lights on all the time, as they go on and off with my ignition, and now I can't do that.