AVIC411.com

toggle switch for video in motion

OK, I know this is the wrong site to ask a question about the kenwood dnx 7120 but you guys are more organized! I just bought a dnx 7120. In order to get any video (gps entry included) while in motion, you simply have to take the wire for the ebrake and ground it (no other mod needed). Everyone knows that works. What I want to do is put that function on a toggle switch (i.e. I can switch that function to work or block the video)

Forgive my ignorance... can I merely run that wire to a any switch and then run it back out and ground it? Is the switch powered and if so how is it powered? Any ideas where to get the switch or what type? Thanks.

D

OK, I know this is the wrong site to ask a question about the kenwood dnx 7120 but you guys are more organized! I just bought a dnx 7120. In order to get any video (gps entry included) while in motion, you simply have to take the wire for the ebrake and ground it (no other mod needed). Everyone knows that works. What I want to do is put that function on a toggle switch (i.e. I can switch that function to work or block the video)

Forgive my ignorance... can I merely run that wire to a any switch and then run it back out and ground it? Is the switch powered and if so how is it powered? Any ideas where to get the switch or what type? Thanks.

D

Yes that's all you would need to do. Check Radio Shack as they have a variety of switches.

I have mine set up this way. The switch is a toggle switch. Flip it one way, and it completes the parking brake circuit. The other way will bypass the brake to let me use it while driving. The switch is hidden under my dash. I guess if I get pulled over and am worried about a ticket, I could flip the switch and show that it is installed correctly.

The switch looks something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062499

There is no power going to the switch. You could get a switch that may have a 12v light to indicate that it has power to it, but is completely unnecessary. Besides, this switch should be hidden.

There are 3 terminals on the switch I have: 1 for the first switch position, and 1 for the second, and i common. The parking brake wire from the radio goes to the center (common) terminal, then one or the remaining terminals goes to ground and the other to the parking brake switch.

I hope this makes sense. It's late, and I have a tooth ache. Darvocet makes me a little sleepy...