AVIC411.com

Z1 will not open, Screen will not go down to eject

Hi, here's the story. Had the Z1 for three yrs. and everything was workin fine. Then one day I go to press the eject button to lower the screen but nothing happens, I hear the beep but nothing happens. I dont hear the motor or anything, the tilt function doesnt work either. I did all level resets but that didn't help. What else can I do?? I am very handy but scard to open this sucker up. Any other suggestions, thanks in advance

Sounds like something broke... and if she has served you for 3 years, I wouldn't feel so bad about dumping the cash for a new one... Although, I know you would rather not if not needed... But it does sound like something has broke(i.e.motor)

Do all the other buttons work?

look on the bottom of the unit... Peel off the Chrome looking Pioneer sticker, and you will see a curved elongated hole with a white plastic gear in it... the gear has a couple of hole in it... The holes are (guessing) for technicians to use a special tool for just that scenario as you HAVE to lower the screen to disassemble it... You can use a small screwdriver in those holes and turn it clockwise to lower the screen... It doesn't spin over real easy and it will feel like something is going to strip/break... but it'll go...

Perhaps, it's just jarred or something, and with luck, manually lowering it may encourage it to work again...

Just throwing it out there...

Dawgbone, thank you so much. That did the trick. At first I didnt see the chrome label so I pulled the big white pioneer sticker with the specs on it and I saw what you were talking about, a banana shape slot with a plastic gear with holes. So i disconnected the unit and brought it in the house so I could have more force to move the gear. I tried moving it but it wouldn't budge in either direction. So i just jiggled it for a little, then I hooked back the power to the unit and tried it. It still didnt work. So i kept the power hooked up and turned the unit upside down and tried the eject while trying to move the gear, and with bearly any force it started to move and the screen went down. It wasnt going all the way down and wasnt going all the way up. It was off by alittle. I adjusted the tilt and now it;s good to go. I thank you so much dawgbone. I never knew that slot existed. You saved me. I owe u one. Thanks bro